Induction Lowbay Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got 5x low bay induction light fittings on my workshop roof (200w each) that I replaced the old 400w SON ones with...

All 5 are wired in to a C6 MCB but every so often when turning them on the breaker trips???

Surely 5x 200w fittings won't make a C6 breaker trip?

It's a Eaton Memshieldo 3 board and breaker and all fittings are connected using plug in ceiling roses.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Maybe a faulty ballast in one of the new fittings?

What ratings are the ballasts in the fittings?

Last edited:
do you know someone with a clamp ammeter, i would clamp at the breaker and see whats going on, does it hold for about 10 seconds then sometimes go off.
We tend to get it a lot in retail premises, sometimes you can track it down to a faulty fitting, but more often than not its the initial start load.

Sponsored Links
well I tested with a clamp meter today and was getting about 4.2a startup then 3 or so amps running but still every so often it would trip the C6 MCB. I ended up swapping it out with a C10 MCB and have had no problems since. .... strange. .

Could have been a trip happy breaker I suppose, it does happen.

Slightly different, but I ramp tested a 100mA RCD yesterday, tripped at 60mA!

Could have been a trip happy breaker I suppose, it does happen.

Slightly different, but I ramp tested a 100mA RCD yesterday, tripped at 60mA!
I might for the hell of it try another C6 I have and see what happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back