Info on how to dot and dab....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't find much on this site about this, which leads me to suspect it has another name!

What are the tools and materials needed?

Sponsored Links
You’ve got the name right; plaster board & bag of dry wall adhesive is all you need. Mix as loose as you can without it being runny, I use an old wooden cooking spoon to dollop my dabs every 200mm each way in the centre of the board & I put extra ones in between around the outside edge. It’s difficult to say how much ‘dab’ you need, it really depends on how true & how porous the wall is; but you will soon know if it’s not enough! But don’t overdo it; unless you need an air gap to get the heat loss down, don’t make the dabs too big or the board will stand off the wall, sound hollow & be prone to damage.

I’ve been using dry wall on some of my walls which I consider would require too much work for a conventional base coat & skim & I aim to put just enough adhesive on the board so it sucks back onto the wall; get it right & you would be pushed to know its been dry lined using the ‘tap’ test.

I’ve arrived at this by trial & error & have no idea if this is the ‘professional’ way to do it but it works for me!

Thanks a lot. I am actually also a student at the university of Trial and Error... Its a great teaching program!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back