Infrared car locking not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The infrared signal from my car keyring has suddenly become very weak. It still works if I hold the keyring practically up against the windows but it's very sporadic and I used to be able to unlock the car from a distance of about 10 metres. Can anyone suggest why this may be happening and is there anything that be done that doesn't require taking the car back to dealer?
It's a Vauxhall Astra by the way.

Sponsored Links
after cleaning the contacts and chnging the battery, to check its working well, get out the phone on your camera, or your digital camera, and point it at the front of the caera, look at the screen, and press the remote button.

You should see the IR LED flickering quite brightly on your camera screen.

Dont beleive me? try it with your TV remote...

Thanks for the ideas guys. I haven't changed the battery but I don't think that is the cause of the problem as I have 2 keys and the problem began to occur with both of them at the same time. I'll try it anyway and I'll certainly try that phone camera trick!
Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
The controls are weak if used in the proximity of automatic doors, police stations, radio stations etc..as their radio frequencies flood local radio transmitters.

Back