Ingrowing toe nails

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
Anyone had them? I had my right toe nail off 20years ago, just had to have the left one off today, forgot how bloody painful they were, well now the anesthetic is wearing off i can tell you its not nice :cry:

Sponsored Links
Got my left and right big toe nails off at the same time, about 3/4 years ago. The injections being one of the worst pain ive felt in my life.

What did they do before anaesthesia though?

Mallet over the head i would guess :D

When i had my first one done the toe was ever so slightly infected and the surgeon said i might feel it as the anesthetic isn't as effective around an infection, so i had 6 injections, 2 down each side of my toe and 2 under the nail, he said he'd stop if i could feel it, before i could shout out, kick out or scream in pain he'd pushed the forceps under the nail, clamped them on and yanked and i felt everything, with all the blood you'd mistaken the surgery for a murder scene.

Shortly after a nurse came to dress my toe, i asked for a glass of water as i'd gone into cold sweat mode, she came back with a glass of water and thats the last thing i remember, i woke up somewhere else in the hospital, wired upto an ECG

Not the best experience and nowadays you'd probably sue someone if they did that, anyway its done now so back to work tomorrow :evil:

Sponsored Links
Bringing back all the memories. Its not pleasent but m glad there off. Two less nails to cut :)

Reckon I'd have to have a general anaesthetic then, if I ever suffered from them. ;) ;)

Lol i did ask if i could have a GA because of my last experience but the orthopedic surgeon at village st surgery said theres no chance of that because of cost, a GA would cost £2000 where as LA is £50, its alright for him he ain't the one having his nail yanked off :evil:

John give me till the weekend for the pounding to die down and i'll meet up with you and give you those espag handles

I had the nail on my right big toe removed several times in the seventies...and the bed too....the b*gger kept defying the laws of nature and growing back! Even now, a partial nail has regrown.... :rolleyes:

And yes, it may have been 36 years ago, but I can still remember the excruciating eye-watering pain.

I had the root killed on my first one with a chemical and luckily it never grew back, asked for the same this time and the surgeon said he would burn the root, hope it doesn't grow back

I had my big toe nail due to infection off recently and apart form the injections I didn't a thing. The Doc just peeled it off like orange peel. I reckon your Doc, crank, was a bit of a butcher. What did he do in the war ?

I had three taken off, 20 yrs ago.
Agree on the pain of the LA down the side of each toe - apparently, it hurts because the flesh there is really tight, so the anaesthetic has to be forced in (that's what the doc told me, anyway).
After that, a big rubber band around each toe (to curb the bleeding), and a good bodging under each nail with what I recall looked like a cocktail stick covered in pink goo.
Nails ripped out, rubber bands off (cue loads of blood), dressings on, then sorted, all by about 4.30pm.

I remember looking down at my feet about midnight (clad in the softest shoes I could find - pale tan), in a local late-night hostelry, and seeing blood stains coming through! So I got another beer :)

Worst bit was the injections, but if I'd known how good the relief was, I'd have had them done 5 years earlier.

Jeez, on the face of these testimonials I think I'll put up with the daily discomfort. :eek:

Jeez, on the face of these testimonials I think I'll put up with the daily discomfort. :eek:

I agree, thats why i put up with it for about 3 months, imagine pushing a cocktail stick sideways from your nail into your skin, every day half a millimetre more till you can see a bump on top of your toe where the nail is, too tender to touch, unable to kneel down because your toe is stubbing into the ground, unable to sleep on your back because the weight of the quilt resting on the top of your toe, the constant oozing of blood and puss and then when you cannot stand the pain any longer and realizing it isn't going to cure itself over night eventually you just have to do it and then once the pounding and thumping is over (about a week) you have relief :D

Sponsored Links
Back