Ingrowing toe nails

Our son had ingrown toenails for quite a few years before he finally got fed up with them and agreed to let a doctor take a look. The first doctor sent him away with antibiotics - and a fat lot of good that did! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Next time round we made sure he saw a different doctor and he was promptly referred to a podiatrist.

Both big toes were done with locals and two surgeons worked at the same time on a toe each. They raked out a thin strip of nail down each side then stuck cotton buds (of sorts) soaked in some unknown liquid onto the exposed strips of nail bed and waited for a timer to count down; maybe 30 seconds, maybe more. I don't remember there being much blood so there were probably rubber bands involved too.

He had sore toes for quite a few days afterwards but declared that it had been worth it. :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Jeez, on the face of these testimonials I think I'll put up with the daily discomfort. :eek:

I agree, thats why i put up with it for about 3 months, imagine pushing a cocktail stick sideways from your nail into your skin, every day half a millimetre more till you can see a bump on top of your toe where the nail is, too tender to touch, unable to kneel down because your toe is stubbing into the ground, unable to sleep on your back because the weight of the quilt resting on the top of your toe, the constant oozing of blood and puss and then when you cannot stand the pain any longer and realizing it isn't going to cure itself over night eventually you just have to do it and then once the pounding and thumping is over (about a week) you have relief :D

I'm nowhere near that stage yet. They both ache most days and every so often it hurts like hell, I assume the nail has dug in a little bit more, then it settles down again for a few months.

The agony is in the post I'm sure. :LOL:

He had sore toes for quite a few days afterwards but declared that it had been worth it. :D :D :D

My ten year old grandaughter is having both hers done tomorrow SC...bless her.....I have never seen toe nails like them...I don't know how she walks.
As you say SC its worth it in the end.

Here you go lads and lasses...

If you want to ruin the rest of your day there are plenty more on there to watch.

Sponsored Links
I'm not squeamish and can watch endless heart and brain operations and the like - but that video makes me feel queasy. Dunno why it should.

Not sure if I am glad I watched that or not....ouch...that injection looked painful :eek:

I felt every bit of that, in fact i feel a bit light headed just typing this !

Glad its over for me, no more pain

Even as an ex con, i won't watch that kind of stuff, it really does turn my stomach, i would be scared of coming across a serious road accident, i could help the man in a fire but blood and guts.. no thanks (not watched :cry: )

Great video chapeau. :) :) :) That's exactly how I remember it, though I'd forgotten about the rubber ring. He didn't complain about the injections at all. :eek: :eek: :eek: Maybe that was a teenage boy thing.

Are you all saying that you had the entire nail removed? I had an ingrowing toe nail on my big toe about 10years ago. I left it to its own devices for about a month before going to the doctors. My doctor himself cut off about 5mm width of my nail from top to bottom. I vividly remember him doing it, but don't remember it being particularly painful?? I remember it being sore as hell for a few days, and I had to re-dress it myself every day which wasn't much fun, but it grew back in a few weeks and now its perfectly normal again.

libby - i'm with you on the video - i could watch it if i had to, but no way i'll watch things like that just for the fun of it. As for coming across an accident, i did one morning, had to check to see if the guy was breathing or not (he wasn't :( ) never would have thought i'd have been able to deal with that, but its amazing when it happens you just get on with it. Wasn't nice though...

Had my left toe done as a teenager, the right I crushed with a steel trap door, swelled with blood so I nicked it with my leatherman blade to release the blood pressure and pulled the nail with my leatherman tool.
Moral of this story , keep your tool clean and sharp. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back