Inspecting my new apartment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A week tomorrow I'm taking the keys for the first home of my own. As you can imagine I am very excited and can't wait to get settled in.

Next Tuesday I am been given the opportunity to inspect the property. Now I know most faults will be spotted within the first few weeks of ownership and thus added to the snagging list (is that right?) but are there any obvious things I should be looking for on this initial inspection?

Sponsored Links
Just sit quietly and write down everything you will use, think of potential problems ..... couple of examples ...
Use water ... taps ok, no dripping ? --- STOP taps location ?--- do they work ? all of them !! .. rads ? check all valves smoothly operate no leaky glands !!
Entry / exit -- doors sturdy? --- sensible hinges properly fitted no missing screws ?--- Locks function perfectly ? --- Windows - open close - lock perfectly ? Spare keys ? --- other key holder -- family nearby ? You will lock yourself out, sooner or later !!
Build the list then work through the lot and do not take cr ap if something doesn't work get whoever is responsible to fix it !! Put it all in writing too !
P

pipme said:
Locks function perfectly ?
Just to add on, always best to change the yale lock with new set of keys, you don't have to change the whole lock, just the key barrel. Also make sure there is a 5-lever mortice lock with a BS kitemark for household insurance reason.

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
what sort of property is it?

thermo

Thanks for the replies so far. It's a ground floor flat/apartment built by Bryants (Taylor Woodrow)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back