New build issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hopefully I have the right forum to post this kind of question!

I've been in a new build for almost nine months now.

The developer pressed to get a snagging list sorted and agreed within the first couple of weeks, which I did. This included things like doors not closing properly because of carpets, paint touch ups etc. Nothing major.

Now however, several doors are sticking in their frames, some quite badly. There are also cracks appearing along plasterboard joints.

I'm aware the cracks are normal and I've no problem sorting those when I come to decorate, but the doors are annoying and while I could sort that as well, I'm wondering if this kind of thing can be rectified by the developer even though the snagging list has already been processed.

It seems strange to agree a snagging list so quickly after completion when things like these can occur, but this is my first new build home so I'm not entirely sure.

The developer isn't on site any more and has been difficult to get hold of for the one remaining issue on the initial snagging list (kitchen cupboards not closing properly).

I have a guarantee apparently (although no certificate) but as I understand it, this will be for serious issues.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Surely your mortgage lender and your buying solicitor would have examined the documentation conditions and guarantees etc before purchase of a new build.

What do you mean by: "agree a snagging list" - who agreed? Has anything been signed off by you?

There are too many variables to comment further - why not get a heads up from your solicitor?

"serious issues" - it will be a serious issue if you cannot get in the front door or cannot get out of the bathroom.

Its perfectly normal for a new home owner to produce their own snagging list within the first few weeks of ownership and for these snags to be attended to by the developer.

After that though you will need to check what was in your sales pack with regards to what happens after that. Normally the developer is responsible for putting things right in the first year or so. I find it hard to believe that either the people selling the house and/or your solicitor did not give you a heads up as to what was offered (on paper anyway) after that.

A new build will often suffer from a few sticking doors here or there but its difficult to assess how bad (or not) yours are sticking and whether there is some underlying issue or not. There is not enough information in your post to be able to explore that further. Cracks in plasterboard joints is just normal new build movement,

Was this built by one of the national developers or a smaller one? Not that it makes much difference sometimes. Typically it will be an NHBC or similar warranty and the excess will be £1000, it is not for sticking doors and in anycase as mentioned it should be down to the developer for minor things like this in the first 12 months or so.

Sponsored Links
I've moved into two new homes in my life, and I've had to go back to a contractor more than once. Sticking doors are unfortunately a common problem in new builds. It needs time before it settles into place.

After nine months your walls will shift far less but they may occasionally continue to move a bit. Make sure your developer is available to come back if necesary. He's still responsible, with or without a signed snagging list.

Minor cracks aren't something to be worried about. They're a concern only if you see them expanding over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back