Inspection and testing a re-wire in a house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to re-wire my house and ask someone to do inspection and testing on the circuits. I have electrical qualifications and daily experience.
Do fully qualified sparks refrain from doing this work on others installations.
How long and roughly how much would it cost for I&T a 3 bed detached property.

Sponsored Links
Electricians who are registered to self-certify electrical works and notify it to the local authority can ONLY certify works that they have done themselves.

a competent electrician can do a Periodic Inspection Report on an existing installation. Some local authorities may accept this with respect to the requirements for Bulding Regulations Part P as a last resort but you need to check with your local authority first.

There is nothing to stop you notifying the local authority and then rewiring your house yourself.
The local authority will make a charge and will inspect your work at various stages. They will expect you to be fully conversant with all aspects of the standards necessary to provide an installation that is safe and meets all of the relavent standards and regulations.

To properly test and certift your new wiring, you will need a full set of calibrated test equipment to do all of the tests necesary.

All the above applies, of course, only in England & Wales.

But one thing bothers me:
I have electrical qualifications and daily experience.
If you're offering that as proof that you know enough to tackle a complete rewire why can't you test & issue an EIC yourself?

All the above applies, of course, only in England & Wales.

But one thing bothers me:
I have electrical qualifications and daily experience.
If you're offering that as proof that you know enough to tackle a complete rewire why can't you test & issue an EIC yourself?

I am employed by a utility company on low voltage supply, but this does not mean I can certify my own domestic wiring (although I have all the calibrated meters and have tested before).
At the end of the day, a trade with authority can inspect anothers work and be impartial to the condition of the works.
He may decare it a sound installation or be spiteful and fail it because of being jealous of not getting the install work.
Testing an existing installation (say 15 years old) would also be testing someone elses work! :confused:

Sponsored Links
I am employed by a utility company on low voltage supply, but this does not mean I can certify my own domestic wiring (although I have all the calibrated meters and have tested before).
There are no legal restrictions on who can test and issue EICs. If you've got the equipment but don't feel that you are skilled or knowledgeable enough to declare that having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing, that the work for which you have been responsible is to the best of your knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008 then maybe you shouldn't be rewiring a house...

At the end of the day, a trade with authority can inspect anothers work and be impartial to the condition of the works.
He may decare it a sound installation or be spiteful and fail it because of being jealous of not getting the install work.
That would be remarkably unprofessional of him, and if he were to charge for I&T and produce a report that was factually inaccurate then he'd be guilty of fraud.

You and he might disagree on minor points, but if you fear that you would do work which genuinely did not comply with BS 7671 then maybe you shouldn't be rewiring a house...

Testing an existing installation (say 15 years old) would also be testing someone elses work! :confused:
Err... yes. So?

Are you getting confused between electrical certification and Building Regulations certification?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back