Inspection Chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this pipe carrying excess surface water from the front and side of the property to a soakaway at the back. It is now buried under soil. I would like to install an inspection chamber nearer the end so I can keep an eye on flow and have a trap for capturing silt before the soakaway.

If I remove the soil, dig out the stones and cut a section out of the pipe would the gully below do the job? I'd probably put some membrane over the grid to stop stuff going down it. Would I leave the gully insert in place? I don't need the trap to prevent odours but I do want to capture sediment from the flowing water.

Thanks

Screenshot_20240410-130706_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240410-225122_Opera.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have this pipe carrying excess surface water from the front and side of the property to a soakaway at the back. It is now buried under soil. I would like to install an inspection chamber nearer the end so I can keep an eye on flow and have a trap for capturing silt before the soakaway.

If I remove the soil, dig out the stones and cut a section out of the pipe would the gully below do the job? I'd probably put some membrane over the grid to stop stuff going down it. Would I leave the gully insert in place? I don't need the trap to prevent odours but I do want to capture sediment from the flowing water.

Thanks

View attachment 339823
View attachment 339824
You'd be better off installing trapped bottle gullies at the bottom of your downpipes. It's what we always do regards rainwater handling.

Unlikely to achieve much, it's too small a volume. If you want silt to settle out, the flow needs to be slow enough to allow this.

I'd suggest looking at silt traps, e.g. https://guttercentre.co.uk/solid-wall-drainage/8983-marley-underground-silt-trap.html

The flow is already fairly slow as the pipe is quite long and at a very shallow angle. Also, I want the inspection chamber aspect to this. How is that silt trap going to work - are narrower gauge connectors needed for the drain pipe?

Are there any cheaper alternatives that I can add on to this run of pipe that gives me a view and access, but also has at least some value as a trap?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back