Install new light help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpg
Hi there.

Just trying to fit new light could someone please tell me where I put the 5 wires what are in the line loop in ?

Total wires 3 in neutral
1 in live
5 in loop

I've put two pictures of new light and old any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Stephen

Sponsored Links
The new lamps has three terminals Live ( for the lamp ) Neutral and Earth,

The ceiling rose has four terminals Live Loop, Switched Live ( for the lamp ) Neutral and Earth

You need to add the fourth terminal for Live Loop by by adding another terminal. Either as a separate piece of 1 way terminal strip or replacing the existing three way with a four way

Stephen - TTC isn't fobbing you off - there is a lot of useful info in the Wiki. If you read the first article in the lighting section //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting you'll find a good explanation of how lighting circuits are wired, and just why there are 4 terminals in a ceiling rose.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
And for goodness sake, make careful note of and mark what wire does what. All those blacks would make correcting the wiring less straightforward.

The new lamps has three terminals Live ( for the lamp ) Neutral and Earth,

The ceiling rose has four terminals Live Loop, Switched Live ( for the lamp ) Neutral and Earth

You need to add the fourth terminal for Live Loop by by adding another terminal. Either as a separate piece of 1 way terminal strip or replacing the existing three way with a four way

So if I put the 5 loop wires in a terminal strip 2red 3 black will that be ok ?

The alternative is to lift the floorboards in the room above and put all that wiring into a junction box screwed to a joist, with a single cable coming out to feed the lamp.
I mention this because you may have to lift the floor anyway to install a suitable batten to screw the lamp fitting to, if it is heavy, and it's a lot easier to put all the wiring in a junction box than squeezing it into that chrome fitting.

The alternative is to lift the floorboards in the room above and put all that wiring into a junction box screwed to a joist, with a single cable coming out to feed the lamp.
I mention this because you may have to lift the floor anyway to install a suitable batten to screw the lamp fitting to, if it is heavy, and it's a lot easier to put all the wiring in a junction box than squeezing it into that chrome fitting.
Bad idea the light is upstairs and I have a loft conversion

I know your only trying to help but I think the terminal strip is the easiest way for me to do this and just want to know is it ok to put the five wires in a terminal strip from the loop?

is it ok to put the five wires in a terminal strip from the loop?
Your old pendant is wired in a somewhat unconventional manner. Normally there would only be red wires in that centre loop set of terminals.

I would be interested to see what you find when you actually remove that old pendant, there should be a couple more red wires hanging around somewhere - maybe a loft conversion bodger has done some creative wiring!

I cannot exactly tell from your photo, but if all 5 are connected together in the pendant then, yes, you need to connect them together in a bit of terminal strip.
Bascially you have to replicate what is already there.

My problem now would be how do I fit the 2 red wires and 3 black wires from the loop in to the same terminal strip or can I put them in two different screws in the terminal strip?

Thanks

Stephen

As you can see, there is no connectivity within a connector strip between the terminals

TLCON60.JPG

With Wago-type connectors there is.

If you must use a strip like that you'll need to link terminals together on one side and put your lighting conductors in the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back