Install Second-hand boiler: thoughts please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Done lots of research and I know the warnings already such as being wary why the boiler was taken out, not knowing its history, losing warranty, installer blaming the boiler if the install fails etc.

However, I can save £1000 for a high quality Viessmann Vitodens 100 system boiler (new 050 is £1060 including flue).

It came out of a property that wished to change to a combi system to gain space. It's a bit older than I like at 5 years old, but I have checked the history with Viessmann using the serial number and it's clear. In fact it still has 5 years left on the warranty although that is lost because of moving it from the installation address. So, if it was giving the problems the previous owner could have it repaired without charge.

Anyone got any thoughts, feedback or recommendations bearing in mind I am aware of the risks already, in particular at 5 years is that too old for a second hand boiler install (10-15 years is the expected life although my current boiler (now faulty) is 20 years).

Sponsored Links
That must mean the boiler is being sold for £60 ?

If so do it. Worse that happens it does not work but all your piping ready so you just whack on a new one

Sponsored Links
That must mean the boiler is being sold for £60 ?

If so do it. Worse that happens it does not work but all your piping ready so you just whack on a new one
Good point! I'll check the two viessmann models have the same distance connections that might make it a quicker second install

You've muddled up the wording, 'high quality' and 'Viessmann 100' don't belong in the same sentence.
Glad to have helped.

Reactions: CBW
You've muddled up the wording, 'high quality' and 'Viessmann 100' don't belong in the same sentence.
Glad to have helped.
I have considered other brands with the cheaper aluminium heat exchangers. Thanks for your personal opinion on veissmann

I have considered other brands with the cheaper aluminium heat exchangers. Thanks for your personal opinion on veissmann
My boiler of choice, not liked by a few, is Ideal Logic Max

My boiler of choice, not liked by a few, is Ideal Logic Max
They seem to get decent reviews. Would you say they are midrange quality? Any system boilers with a stainless steel exchanger made by them?

with the cheaper aluminium heat exchangers
What makes you think aluminium denotes cheap? Unfortunately just because the HEX is made of S/S doesn't mean it's any better (and worth it being more expensive) I'm afraid.

I've replaced as many boilers with SS HEX's that were fooked, as I have with Alloy.

One of my favourite boilers has a huge alloy HEX - (answers on a postcard ;) )

What makes you think aluminium denotes cheap? Unfortunately just because the HEX is made of S/S doesn't mean it's any better (and worth it being more expensive) I'm afraid.

I've replaced as many boilers with SS HEX's that were fooked, as I have with Alloy.

IG?

Ferroli?

Put it this way, for £700 inc VAT you can put in a Vokera Vibe Max 26C, large bore stainless heat exchanger, larger that the Viessmann, with retarder but no restrictive elbows and constrictions. It’ll modulate to just below 3kW, has dual temp weather comp, OpenTherm, three preheats, wi-fi ready, Bluetooth timer, 5 years warranty or 6 if you pay about £90 for the wi-fi SmartKey which gives remote control of the boiler. You have to buy and register the two together for the extra year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back