Install switch on spur for outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've got an outside light to the front of the house, which is wired with a single cable (permanent live / neutral / earth) wired into the ground floor lighting circuit (I assume from a spur from a junction box somewhere). The cable runs through a front cupboard where I would like to put a switched light, although as this cable is itself a spur it obviously has to be a slightly non standard setup if I am to use this cable.

Am I OK to cut the wire in the front cupboard and use a 4-terminal block (in a chocolate box) to wire up the new light (60W energy saving) and switch along with the existing front light (60W energy saving PIR - so still permanent live) using the same setup as this:

View media item 68432
The only difference to normal is that 'supply to next light' implies this is a ring circuit, whereas obviously the 'next light' is the final light on this spur. The circuit itself is nowhere near full capacity.

Any advice appreciated - thanks in advance!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Ignore the "supply to next light" connections in the drawing.

PS lighting circuits are radials, not ring final circuits.

Oops - had forgotten lighting circuits are not ringed, and therefore adding another light in the chain is fine… :)

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back