Installation of a range cooker, Gas hob & electric ovens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just purchased a second hand Stoves New home Range cooker 1000 DFDL, Duel fuel (gas hob, and 2 electic ovens and 1 grill). It has no instructions available. On the back it states 5485w. Here is my dilemma: I have moved the kitchen further back into the house, so the old 6mm cooker cable is no longer long enough to reach new position of cooker. Question 1, can I extend it a further 4-5 metre and if so how. Distance from consumer unit to the new cooker position is 17m so I would have to use 6mm cable any, is this correct. (?If it was 12m or less I could get away with 4mm for this rating of cooker?)
Question 2, You recommend using a control unt without a socket, which is fine by me. Should I use a 30A? Most seem to be 45A.
Question 3, There is no cable coming from the cooker, which I would put into the terminal outlet box. There is however a black connector box on the back of the cooker itself. Is this to be used as of the TOB?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
1. new cable is better than extending old. if not use an accessible 30a junction box (CPD must be less than or equal to 30A)

2. overrated accessories are fine

3. you supply your own cable and wire into the cooker.

Thanks Crafty :)
Do you recommend any particular brand/type of 30A junction box?
One other point, will 6mm cable go from the CCU to the TOB, or could I use 4mm. Will it also be 6mm cable going from the cooker to the TOB? Can you recommend a decent TOB.
On the back of the cooker there is the 'connector block' but it doesn't seem to indicate which wire goes where.
Finally is there a problem with the cable being near gas/water pipes?
apologies for all the questions!

no problem.

cooker outlet plate:

(click image for link to a shop)

As for the junction box, consider the location of the joint, and the fact that it must be accessible. If its above the worktop, many people opt for a blanking plate over a single metal backbox, with a terminal block inside. This provides a neat-looking surface junction box, and also provides indication that there is a cable underneath the surface (never a bad thing)

single blank plate:

single metal backbox:

Post a picture of the terminal box in the cooker, and the make and model, someone will know how to wire it.

Use 6mm² cable throughout. Though 4mm² flex is considered OK to connect the cooker to the flex outlet, as it is a short run. TLC sell this also, i'll give you the task of looking for it.

Sponsored Links
Although if you're joining 6mm², a deeper box would make terminating easier.

As long as you clip direct and there are no other de-rating factors, you can use 4mm² if you are rewiring. However, you may want to consider future-proofing, if you intend to stay a good few years. 10mm² will be good for 50A.

Thanks yet again Crafty, you're a Star!!
I'll order the cooker outlet box now. As for the junction box, I thought the definition for 'accessible' could be under a small section of screwed down floor board in the hall (the 12m pre existing cable doesn't make it as far as the new kitchen) It needs 5m more. Is this 'accessible'?
I'll take a photo asap of the cooker connector.
What do you recommend fuse wise for the CU? 45A or 30A? (cooker is 5485w total)

manbey1 said:
fuse wise
securespark thought manbey1 said:
Fuse wire
30 amps is plenty. Screwed down floorboard is not accessible by the definition of the regs, but it will be ok, i have loads under my floorboards (i didnt wire it). Bear in mind the affect that laminate, tiled and other solid coverings have on accessibility. My Grandad has had 3 junction boxes burn up under his floorboards, caused by water dripping from the dishwasher. In the end he changed the cable ;) :LOL: And screw joints work loose, so make sure you can get at it in future.

Thanks again Crafty and Securespark.
Having done the calcs I was going to use a 30A fuse but someone suggested I should use a 45A, just wanted to get a 2nd, second opinion
The junction box will just be under wooden floor boards in the hall.
I'll sort out a photo of the cooker asap

manbey1 said:
someone suggested I should use a 45A,
Did they enquire as to the rating of the cooker? Or did they simply make a sweeping statement such as "cookers need to be on 45A fuses" or "my cooker is on a 45 amp fuse, so they all must have to be". :rolleyes:

Interested in how you are getting on with your Stoves Newhome now? I am thinking of buying a 2nd hand one as well.
Any info gratefully received,,,
A

Hi the cooker has been absolutely fine, I've not regretted buying it. The guys I bought it from had it for 2 years before I got it, so it's about 4-5 years old now. It always causes some positive comments, as it looks quite impressive. A friend of mine who is a house renovator says it's a good brand. It was well worth the £250 (ebay). Would have preferred gas ovens though. Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply.
I have bought the offending cooker (£102) but still not seen it yet.
If you go to "ebay Stoves Newhome dual fuel cooker -what have I done?" elsewhere on this site, you'll maybe see what self-inflicted idiocy I have brought upon myself so far!!!
Andrew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back