Installation of cooker, 35Metres from board???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone help me please....................................................
I've been asked to do some work for charity and it's been 9 years since i was in the trade...
Basically i need to install cooker with a total load of 8,920W, from a 3- phase crabtree polestar fuseboard, with the cooker being roughly about 35 Metres away from board......
What size cable? 10mm, mcb rating 40A, dunno any help would be gratefull, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
its kind of you to do the job, but as its for charity, i assume its in a "public use" building if it goes wrong you will not be insured.

its a sad fact I know, but i would not do it if i was in your shoes

Hi breezer, i am a qualified electrician, just been out of trade for a while, so are you saying i've gotta be self employed electrician to be insured......

no, i am saying that as you are not currently (no punn intended) in the trade you will probably not be insured to carry out the job. (If you are working for a.n.other company you will probably not be insured either, because you said you have been out of the trade for a while, which means you are not working / employed as an electrician, so you will not be insured as one)

i am also not doubting your qualifications or your ability, but if something should go wrong its not my neck on the line.

you must have seen it where some one asks a favor and it goes pear shape, in your time you must have been out to correct others mistakes, but as its for charity i asume its a public use building (big cooker) even if its not your fault you still installed it. if you still have insurance, not a problem.

people are often nice to your face, but, if / when things go wrong ...........oh it wasn't us it was...........

I read in the paper (must be true) a chap "serviced" his mates car, brakes went, car rolled into something, insurance paid out no problem? insurance Co. paid out no questions, becasue they then sued the chap who serviced the car, he didn't have a leg to stand on.

I just would not do it if i were in your shoes, the financial gain v risk is too much in my opinion

Sponsored Links
i know what your saying breeze, and yes it happens.........people are soon to pass the buck...
Only thing i can't understand is the insurance bit, although im not now classed as an electrician, i still work with electrics, fibre-optics, amplifiers, telecomms(pdh ,sdh systems).
Nothing over 240V is worked on by myself, why would i not be insured????
Because i work for an employer, with me not being self employed????

You need public liabilty insurance with a minimum of £1M cover, around the £100 mark so long as you don't work 3 phase.

You could try ringing a broker to see if anyone will cover you, but I don't think so if you are not self-employed.

The problem with your existing company is they will have their own insurance but only to cover you while you are working on their behalf.

If you go and do a moonlighter and it goes wrong, are you going to claim on your company's policy???

Thanks for the advice, im gonna look into the insurance and see how much it would set me back, thanks again guys.

doubt if you will get it you only want it for a one off,

also as securespark said, your company insurance will not cover you, suppose you do have an accident (no matter how minor) and you are off work for a short while , wont your employe want to know why, and then you may be breaking your T & C of your employment contract = dismissal

its NOT worth it

public liability was the words i couldn't remember (so didn't say it that)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back