Installation of External Lamp to switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have bought a standard external lamp from homebase (pir type for front door), trying to connect into a 3 switch - help - not working.

Where do I connect the live and neutral (brown & blue) wires from the lamp to the switch.... please see attached pics..

left light switch controls hallway light, right switch controls landing (upstairs) light.

I'd like the middle light switch to power/control the outside lamp.

Please could someone advise.

6wvzbcg.jpg

6tyneww.jpg

6p7czg1.jpg

Any help really appreciated.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Unfortunateley you will need more cables to be run to make your light work as from your pictures i can see their is not a neutral connection there. You need to get a neutral feed from a light fitting. The normal way to do this is to replace the twin and earth cable from your hall light to the switch with a 3 core and earth cable which can incorporate a neutral as the third core.

NIck

Unfortunateley you will need more cables to be run to make your light work as from your pictures i can see their is not a neutral connection there. You need to get a neutral feed from a light fitting. The normal way to do this is to replace the twin and earth cable from your hall light to the switch with a 3 core and earth cable which can incorporate a neutral as the third core.

NIck

bet there wont be one (earth at the hall light fitting that is..)

would it be easier to run it from a plug and socket ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back