installing 22mm pipework for new combi system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After being let down by 4 plumbers now, I'm thinking of of tackling the pipe work myself. (not gas).

I had helped a mate fit his, some 20 years ago (copper/soldered), so I'm familiar (if not rusty) with the concept, but wondered if the process has changed in that time.

I was going to install flow and return in 22mm copper (as done before) but someone mentioned just use plastic, and, the bits that show in copper.

Can anyone recommend a make of plastic pipe that would be suitable, as I'm not up to speed with this.
I see you can buy lengths or coils, is one preferable over the other? or should you buy both?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Before you go any further ,you need to find a gsr who will be prepared to take on the job of " picking up where you left off" .that may not be as easy as you think.

Not quite what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the input. I'm not asking for anything unusual, but getting a plumber so far, is part of the problem, seems they don't want business in my location.

I would look to source gas safe person to commission boiler and make all gas arrangements.

I would look to source gas safe person to commission boiler and make all gas arrangements.

Do that first and explain you would like to do some of the work yourself. Will save grief in the long run.

Sponsored Links
What is your location?

Most Gas Safe guys would want to hang the boiler themselves, but there no reason why you shouldn't do the central heating pipework, provided you're willing to take full responsibility for any leaks or poor system design.

Personally I hate plastic. Copper is proper. If you're unfortunate enough to get mice, you'll soon find out why plastic is a Very Bad Idea when they've chewed through the pipes a couple of times

Thanks, South Yorkshire.
I meant to say, I wouldn't hang the boiler, just do the pipework.

It's funny how everybody seems to use plastic these days... but I've seen mouse damage and I can only imagine it would be nightmare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back