installing a mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
quick question ref to a mixer shower
i have uneven pressures at the cold and hot in the bathroom, i.e. cold water enters direct from the mains and hot is supplied via a tank in the loft. the cold has extreme pressure in comparison to the hot so i am not sure whether connecting both to a mixer will be of any practical use.
my question to anybody who is able to answer is: can i T off the cold water supply enetering the bathroom, add some form of pressure redcution device to this and then connect to the mixer keeping the hot water pipe a direct connection? this will ensure i have even pressure at the mixer. what types of pressure reducing devices can be used? can i use a ball valve, a stop tap, a gate valve or even a service valve? or do i need to implement a device like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...HZOCFFI?productId=85889&imageNo=null&ts=63699

if the above is the only possible option, why is it favoured over the ones mentioned above?

Sponsored Links
You need balanced supply.

There is a strong clue in the name of the item you link to ;)

cheers for the reply geez,
but this part seems awfully expensive!
can a tap or some sort of shut off valve not be used to reduce the pressure, i need to keep the cost of this install to a bare minimum!!

tap or valve won't reduce the pressure but it will reduce the flow

either get a mixer that will handle unbalanced pressure of get an inline balancing valve

or feed the shower from the same header tank (it may need increasing in size) ;)

Sponsored Links
cheers kev :LOL:
but on a more serious note, how much will one of these balancing valves set me back? where can i purchase one as screwfix dont seem to have any?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back