Installing a ne CH Thermostat

I've put the red wire to terminal 1 and the blue to terminal 4. I've put the yellow wire in a connector block but it still isn't working.

Looking at the diagram, it does have a neutral source going into/coming out from terminals 2 and 3. Would it work if I was to try connecting the yellow wire to either of these? Would a link from 1 to 2 (as breezer suggested earlier) be needed?

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
all a stat does is to make or break acircuit acording to temperature

so in your case (red) live going to 1 and switched live (blue) going to 4 it must work.

the neutral is there because your stat has a very small internal heater, it gets its live from the live feed and the neutral from the neutral feed.

it will still work without it only tnot be as sensative.

what happens if you connect the red and blue together, this is the same as your stat "calling for heat" try it and see does your boiler fire up. if it doesnt it means :

a: colours wongly identified.

b: nothing wrong with origonal stat

c: cable fault

if your boiler does fire up then it must wrong terminals identfied on stat

When the plumber looked at the stat initially he said that the yellow wire was the switch, although it was connected to the neutral terminal in the old stat. Could this make a difference or is he wrong about it being the switch.

I cant say as i am not there, colours used depends on choice of who ever installed it.

but logically red will be live, yellow switched live and blue neutral.

so yes if wrong colours used in wrong place no it wont work at all.

can you see what is connected where at the other end? probably in some sort of "junction box"

see what they are connected to by following them and the other wires.

for example the red, follow that and see if it goes with other reds and then to a brown that is the incoming supply

Sponsored Links
Unfotrtunately, I can't tell from the junction box.

If yellow could be switched live will I do any harm by connecting it (in a connector block) with the red wire to form a live circuit (as you suggested with red and blue a couple of messages ago)?

Could I do any harm by trying other combinations, e.g. blue/yellow etc.[/img]

one combination should go BANG! (i am being serious)

why cant you tell by looking in the junction box? just follow each wire slowly

I can't tell because the wires go down under the floor and it's hard to work out which is which in the junction box.

Thanks for all your help. I'm limited to what I can do now because daylight has gone. I'd best leave it to the plumber tomorrow.

Just to let you know that the plumber came back on Monday.

Thanks to Breezer, I had wired up the thermostat correctlty. The reason the heating didn't work was because the pump had gone as well!!!

thanks for letting me know :) trouble is you are now stuck with the name of coldnick, perhaps it should now be warm and happy nick :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back