Installing cables in an external wall

Gents,

Thanks for your time, I have discussed this with my electrician and I shall probably be proceeding with the shielded cable route.

Can I ask if anyone knows of a supplier that can supply a small quantity. I am probably looking at around 5 to 10m

Cheers

Paul

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your time, I have discussed this with my electrician and I shall probably be proceeding with the shielded cable route. Can I ask if anyone knows of a supplier that can supply a small quantity. I am probably looking at around 5 to 10m
Your electrician may have some 'in his van', but many electrical wholesalers will sell you cables by the metre.

What sort of 'shielded cable' does your electrician want to use (the answer may impact on some of the practicalities of installing it)?

Kind Regards, John

I think the best course of action will be to approach the electrician with the proposal that I fit the metal conduit kindly supplied in the link from Derry.
Don't forget you'll need a stock and die set for cutting threads, and some cutting compound such as Trefolex, a pipe vice to hold it while you do the cutting, and bushes to connect it to the boxes.

Sponsored Links
I think the best course of action will be to approach the electrician with the proposal that I fit the metal conduit kindly supplied in the link from Derry.
Don't forget you'll need a stock and die set for cutting threads, and some cutting compound such as Trefolex, a pipe vice to hold it while you do the cutting, and bushes to connect it to the boxes.
Probably no longer relevant...
I have discussed this with my electrician and I shall probably be proceeding with the shielded cable route.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks Ban, as John as said no longer relevant. I'm hoping someone can come up with a suggestion of where I can source around 8m of the cable from

Of course if any forum members have any I can pay via the usual P pal method

I'd be greatly appreciative if someone has around 8m. I could pay via a well known method or give a firm undertaking to pay say £15 to £20 to the charity of someones choice.

I read that john, but never knew what it was, howver theres now a link.

I dont think anyone will sell that by the meter, not many will even cut fp

I read that john, but never knew what it was, howver theres now a link.
To be frank, nor did I (by that name), but Googling it turned up the same link that the OP has now posted!
I dont think anyone will sell that by the meter, not many will even cut fp
I think you're right. SWA would obviously be no problem, but that would then introduce all sorts of termination issues/problems. I reckon that the electrician who specified this cable ought to either source it or else specify some other cable :)

Kind Regards, John

somebody out there has to have this in their van?!?!
Maybe - certainly if anyone has used it and had to buy 100m! However, I fear you will find that it is not at all widely used - of all the possible approaches to buried cables in walls, it is probably the least commonly adopted! Although I'm sure that they could order (100m drums of!) it, most electrical wholesalers don't seem to even list this type of cable.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back