Installing cables in an external wall

the other half has won. I can now install these lights and cable in line with the regs. Many thanks for your assistance and patience.

Paul

Sponsored Links
the other half has won. I can now install these lights and cable in line with the regs. Many thanks for your assistance and patience.
I'm glad to hear that you have some resolution, but I wonder exactly what arrangement has won - are the lights perhaps going to be much higher up that you were contemplating, or what?

Kind Regards, John

I should really have supplied a photo to help. They are now positioned either side of the front door (the toilet room is to the right hand side when you walk in and shower room to the left hand side)

I should really have supplied a photo to help. They are now positioned either side of the front door (the toilet room is to the right hand side when you walk in and shower room to the left hand side)
Fair enough - are you saying that the cables will now penetrate both walls in the safe zones in the corners of the rooms?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
absolutely. A big thanks to all have contributed to this post. Apologies that the help wasn't actually needed

absolutely.
In that case, one little word of caution. Although those 150mm vertical strips at corners of walls are officially safe zones, such that shallow-buried cables in them are compliant with regs, some of us are not really comfortable about that, since those very same corners are favourite places for people to drill holes! So do try to remember that there are cables there, and keep a beady eye on anyone in the vicinity with a drill in his/her hand :) Are the cables going to go 'up' to above ceiling, or 'down' to below floor?

Kind Regards, John

absolutely.
In that case, one little word of caution. Although those 150mm vertical strips at corners of walls are officially safe zones, such that shallow-buried cables in them are compliant with regs, some of us are not really comfortable about that, since those very same corners are favourite places for people to drill holes! So do try to remember that there are cables there, and keep a beady eye on anyone in the vicinity with a drill in his/her hand :) Are the cables going to go 'up' to above ceiling, or 'down' to below floor?

Kind Regards, John

To elaborate on what John has just stated, corners are key places for people to fix pipes and mini trunking at a later date, so may pay just to keep the wiring about 50 mm from the finished corner.

The trouble with some of these safe zones is that it's only electricians who actually know about them!

And then I don't think an electrician would think twice about screwing some trunking to the corner of a room.

Cheers guys and sorry for the tardy response. I will come in about 50mm from the corner. The cables will run around 1m down the wall from the ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back