Installing downlights - finding studs with stud finder ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit some downlights in the kitchen.

I purchased a Stanley IntelliSensor 77-110, it works OK on a plain smooth wall. But where my ceiling is Artexed its useless. :evil:

Any ideas of how to find where the studs and braces are, to position the lamps and run the wiring to the outer edge of the ceiling where I can interconnect the lamps running the cable behind the coving. ???

thxs

Sponsored Links
Once you have worked out logically where the joists could be, you could use a bradawl or narrow screwdriver to puncture the ceiling to check. Any holes in the wrong place will be easy to cover up - especially in an artex ceiling. By the way - downlights don't always look good in a heavily artexed ceiling. If it was down to me I would skim the ceiling. This would mean you could make nice big holes in the ceiling which will help to get your drill in to the joists, running cable will be much easier, plus the downlights will sit flat.

is there not an issue cutting holes in artex, depending on its age there is a concern over asbestos content, although that rule might have been relaxed lately due to a change of thought that it isn't now as dangerous as first thought.

Sponsored Links
I purchased a Stanley IntelliSensor 77-110, it works OK on a plain smooth wall. But where my ceiling is Artexed its useless.

Try using it on a thin piece of cardboard (cornflake package ideal), then it should slide over more easily without compromising its ability.

Thanks for the replies,

Where I say the Stanley device works OK on plain walls and not on Artex ceilings.

I mean the thing don't pick-up the joist or studs, where the depth of the stiple on the artex plus the thickness of the plaster board must be near the 19mm range of the device therefore useless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back