Installing Loft Flooring, in an uneven loft - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so bought a bit of the chipboard tounge and grove loft flooring, however when laying it it seems that the joists are not level in the loft. Which means i can only install 1 before its out of alignment for overlapping the second row.

The house is early 1900's and the rafters aren't straight and are to an angle in line with the wall. don't get me wrong the flooring is just to make storage access up there easier, and i don't think it would be worth 'leveling' every joist in the loft. But this m,eans the boards will be layed one on top of each other rather than the usual brick formation where they are offset thus spreading the load of any overhangs etc.

I can knock up some graphics if you dont know what i mean.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I got kinda the same problem with my floor being uneven.... not going to tackle it myself anymore but going to phone someone in if I can find someone decent in Glasgow.... to many cowboys and pols lol

A good trick is to counterbatten over the existing timbers. Lay new ones at right angles to the old. Place them at a spacing which will allow each end of the flooring boards to stand half-way across the new battens, with one down the middle to prevent bouncing.

This method will also spread your weight over several timbers.

Fix them with long screws (not nails as the hammering may crack or loosen the ceiling plaster below).

I used 35mm x 70mm construction timber because my local woodyard had lots of it in 2.5M lengths going cheap.

Top up the insulation when you up there.

Sponsored Links
Right I just went up and messured all the beems

They crossover the top of each other

Bottom ones are 100x40mm and the ones lying the other way on top of them are 80x40mm

I've started lifting the old insulation since it's really dirty and patchy also very very damp

I've got lots of 200mm rolls of Space Blanket.... is this too big if I want to floor my loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back