Installing multi fuel stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We currently have a nasty 70s glossy brick fire surround in the living room of our new house. I am planning to rip this out and install a multifuel stove in the opening.

I need to know what sort/size of stoves I can realistically look at. What are the regulations around installing a multifuel stove? ie...

- How much space has to be left either side and above the stove in the opening?
- Are there any restrictions on the size of stove compared to the size of the room? Room is roughly 6x5m

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
Must be notified under Building Regs Part L1, can be self certified by an installer registered with HETAS ;)

If you’re asking those sorts of questions, you need to get professional advice; get it wrong & it could seriously damage your health! The suitability of your flue must be checked & it will almost certainly need lining; there are also several Building Regulations you need to comply with including the flue, construction of the hearth, permanently (open) ventilation in the room & a constriction notice next to your consumer unit. Although it’s something that can be done by a competent & experienced DIYer (with a Building Notice submission, test & inspection + fee), a registered HETAS installer will save you all the hassle & provide you with a certificate of compliance (which you will need when you sell); then there is the problem of not really knowing what your doing & do your really fancy climbing onto the roof with a 8m x 150mm diameter stainless steel snake on your back! There are also a couple of other things you need to be aware of when finishing any surround.

I wouldn’t advise the stove shops, their mark could be as high as 100% on the job & you will do better by finding a local HETAS installer (you can download a list from their website) prepared to do the work with a stove you supply & buy on-line. Quiet a few archive posts on this subject, many by myself so have a browse & come back with specifics if you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back