installing new cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just purchased a new electric cooker. When they called to arrange delivery, they said we need to pay for it to be installed as it doesn't come with a cable. I told them I will do it myself.

Does doing it myself go against any of the new regulations for 2005 & why cant I just use the cable of the old cooker?

Sponsored Links
Chris666 said:
We have just purchased a new electric cooker. When they called to arrange delivery, they said we need to pay for it to be installed as it doesn't come with a cable. I told them I will do it myself.

Does doing it myself go against any of the new regulations for 2005 & why cant I just use the cable of the old cooker?

connecting the actual cooker is allowed, aslong as the cooker outlet is already there.

andrew2022 said:
Chris666 said:

connecting the actual cooker is allowed, aslong as the cooker outlet is already there.

which is a stupid .

this means a simple DIY person could wire it up with some 2.5mm T&E

makes you laugh when its proberly one of the most current consuming items on the fuseboard.

Just shows how daft Part P is

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
Chris666 said:

Not quite.

If it is a free-standing electrical cooker, then you may connect it up.

If it is a fixed appliance, then you may connect it up but you must notify Building Control in advance and arrange for them to come and inspect it.

As for "why cant I just use the cable of the old cooker?", this, supposedly, is one of the reasons why they introduced these new regulations. (It wasn't a real reason, but it's one of the claims)

Whether you can use the old cable depends on what size it is, what rating the new cooker is, and what rating the fuse/MCB is. Whether you can use the circuit supplying the cooker outlet plate depends on what size that cable is, how long it is and where it runs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back