17th IEEE

Not exactly -

The two metres is to ensure that the oven can be removed without hanging on the cable.

Only an idiot would not realise that if the connector were further away then longer cable would be required.

Sponsored Links
My understanding of the 2m rule was that is the average body span for an adult, and the method of isolation ideally should be within that distance from the appliance e.g. cooker. Also, the 2m minimum distance between a sink unit and a socket outlet. As I recall both were Building Regs around the 15th edition electrical regs.

Regards,

DS

My understanding of the 2m rule was that is the average body span for an adult, and the method of isolation ideally should be within that distance from the appliance e.g. cooker.
Not sure if you are commenting on my post but -
I am talking about the minimum length of cable recommended for connecting the oven to an outlet plate at the back of the oven.

The two metre (extended from 6ft. for no reason :)) recommendation for the emergency switch (there is no requirement for an isolator) is hardly critical.

Also, the 2m minimum distance between a sink unit and a socket outlet. As I recall both were Building Regs around the 15th edition electrical regs.
I think you will find that is 300mm. (1ft.) and only mentioned in the Electricians' Guide to the Building Regulations.

Regards,

Not exactly -
The two metres is to ensure that the oven can be removed without hanging on the cable. Only an idiot would not realise that if the connector were further away then longer cable would be required.
I realise that - but I only suggested that the MIs might 'impose a limit' - and that could have been an explicit limit relating to the distance from the CCU or an implicit/effective limit resulting from the specification of a maximum cable length (coupled with the common sense considerations you mention).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
No. I was not commenting on your post. In fact, had not read your post.

Kind Regards,

DS

To me the most likely explanation for the 2m rule has nothing to do with regulations it's to do with price ! Installation charges will be based on supplies being within a pre determined distance from appliance being installed.

Check on terms and conditions of the installation service from your retail shop.

John Lewis are very clear as to what the will do and not do as "normal" installation.

Regards,

DS

Not only ideally, but I would say inevitably - it's hard to see how the distance between the supply and the supply could ever be anything other then 0 m :)

To be more serious, and forgetting your typo, I often suggest that there probably should be a minimum distance between, say, a cooker and any 'emergency switch' - if one thinks or believes that the casing of a cooker has become live, if there are flames shooting out of the cooker or flames shooting out of a fat pan on one of the cooker's hobs, I wouldn't want to have to get too close to that cooker to operate its 'emergency switch'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back