earth loop test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a new electric cooker (Beko, total power consumption 10kW) from Currys. The Currys installation engineer said there is some problem with the cooker connection point (earth loop test failed with a reading of 160 and the red switch of the cooker is not isolated from extractor hood switch). My old cooker was dual fuel and its electrics worked ok. Since the Currys engineers were not covered by insurance they could not do it. So I need a proper electrician to sort out the wiring and connect the new cooker. I just wonder if it is a big job for the electrician and how much it likely costs. I phoned around and found Able group charged me £60 + VAT for 0.5 hour rate but they couldn't say exactly how long it would take.
I am in Bristol.

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
It is a how long is a piece of string type question I'm afraid, try entering your postcode here: http://www.competentperson.co.uk to find a local spark.
It may be a bigger issue or it may not be an issue at all, without being there is difficult to tell.

Currys and others delivery teams use every excuse to dodge installations as they are booked so many jobs a day they have to drop a few just to get finished.

Yes, that's true.

I had customer whose cooker connection was refused because she didn't have a 45A MCB on the circuit.

Who does?

Sponsored Links
The earth loop impedance required changes with the earthing system used, with a TT system 200Ω would be permitted. So without knowing the earth system one could not comment on what is required. Do you have an earth rod? Is there anything written on the head like PME, or TN-C-S or TN-S or TT?

thanks for all the replies. I'll see what the electrician says:)

Have you got the paperwork from the Currys guy showing exactly why the job was turned down?
A reading that high may not be a reason to refuse installation on its own.

As eric says, it would be helpful to know what electrical earthing system you have.

If you have an overhead supply with a copper rod stuck in the ground, that reading could be acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back