New Cooker Hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had new cooker fitted (dual fuel) i want to add a cooker hood. The cooker connection is 40A, but cooker is 2500W max so will run on normal socket? can this just be wired to the cooker connection together with the cooker...

Sponsored Links
no, but you can plug it into a normal socket.

the reason is a cooker connection unit is usuallly supplied by a 32A fuse and 6mm cable.

the cooker hood cable will not be 6mm, so if a fault occurs, the cooker hood cable will quite literaly melt, and probably cause a fire

Of course you can use the existing cooker supply for the oven and the hood. All you need to do is replace the existing cooker switch for a double socket outlet. The supply circuit will be correctly fused at 32 amps with 6mm cable and the appliances will be fused down to 13 and 3 amps respectiveley. For a neater finish you could rewire with two fused spur outlets fused correctly for the individual appliances (and current regs for fixed appliances)

Sponsored Links
i did not notice the rating of the cooker :oops: so yes you can plug it into a normal socket but the cooker hood must go into its own socket, but you can as 711 suggested change the cooker unit to a twin socket and put a plug top on each appliance, mind you it will not be easy putting the socket back with a 6mm cable in it, i suggest you get the deepest patress you can

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back