Insulated lining paper. Advice for an inexperienced decorator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to decorate one side (exterior wall) of a bedroom. The wall is prone to dampness and mould being an exterior wall, which gets very cold in winter and the condensation from 2 people over 8 hours is difficult to manage completely. So have decided to give insulated lining paper a go which I then plan to paint over. The old wallpaper/lining paper has been stripped off and I will be giving it a quick sand down. I did search on this forum for similar type questions but most threads were quiet old and maybe products have changed. So my questions are:

Does anyone have a recommendation for insulated lining paper brand/type?
Do I need to seal the wall and if so what with?
Would I need to do anything with the borders or will a couple of coats of paint more or less hide these?

From old threads insulated lining paper sounds like it is not easy to work with so any other tips would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The insulation in your loft will be between 150mm and 250mm

The insulation in your cavity walls (if any) will be between 50mm and 100mm.

How thick is your "insulating" wallpaper? 2mm? Do you seriously think it will bring a significant benefit?

How do you ventilate your damp room?

I've used Wallrock thermal liner, it takes the 'chill' off of the wall. ie: the wall is warmer to the touch than the other wall that's just plain paper. But I don't expect it gives me any major thermal benefits.
Fit trickle vents, and use them, or leave a window slightly open.

"Warmer to the touch" is because it reflects back the body temperature of your finger. It's your own heat you feel.

Sponsored Links
Possibly, I know it feels warmer than the bit of wall with standard paper. Reflecting heat has to be an improvement on drawing heat away? I agree that the gains are negligible, and that particular paper is more expensive now than when I bought it. It does cover cracks beautifully though.

Possibly, I know it feels warmer than the bit of wall with standard paper. Reflecting heat has to be an improvement on drawing heat away? I agree that the gains are negligible, and that particular paper is more expensive now than when I bought it. It does cover cracks beautifully though.

Yup Deluks you hit the nail on the head, the fact that the wall doesn't feel cold to the touch and doesn't absorb heat means mositure won't condense as easily on a non insulated lined wall. This is the whole point in us going for this type of lined paper. This will hopefully cut down on mould but I realise getting into the habit of opening windows daily and ventilating is the most important particulary in winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back