insulated screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm looking to raise the floor of the garage by 100mm to convert it into a 3 X 3m
utility room.

Have got the option of a floating floor setup but would rather not.

Has anyone got any experience with insulated screed? There's a product called prooftherm.

https://www.insulationsuperstore.co...-high-performance-insulating-screed-20kg.html

It uses perlite as the aggregate and says it can go upto 100mm.

Would this be feasible to meet building regs? Or would it be too fragile at 100mm and like a big digestive biscuit?

Can you tile straight onto this or does it need further prep? looked in the instructions but it didn't really say.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Agreed, I've specificed that the stud wall and the roof will be over insulated but he wasn't having any of it.
Irrespective of boosting elsewhere (which is admirable) any BCO worth their salt would welcome ANY improvement to the existing floor. Must be a newbie.

Thanks again for your reply, I'm annoyed as he's was recommended by the builders and has been in the game for a long time.

In hindsight I should've just cracked on and maybe he wouldn't have noticed.

Shall I just go with a floating floor? The sheer expense and hassle puts me off.

To be honest I hadn't priced up the screed in comparison to the floating floor. I totalled it to about £450 laying a floating floor with 75mm celotex, t&g chipboard and cement board in prep for tiling.

I have about 15mm runout across the 3m one way, would I need to self level the concrete slab first or could I DPM and lay a base of sand to get the level? Worried about the celotex cracking or moving underneath the boards.

Yes bung down some sand.
I’ve personally only done this once and have carpet over it; it feels totally solid.
Others may comment on what’s best for tiles in a utility room.

Yes bung down some sand.
I’ve personally only done this once and have carpet over it; it feels totally solid.
Others may comment on what’s best for tiles in a utility room.

That sounds a hell of a lot easier that having to prime the floor and then spend £100 on self levelling compound! Surely it's not as simple as it sounds?!

Morning all, hoping to crack on with this.

Can someone confirm that a thin layer of sand on top of the DPM will be sufficient to level the floor before the PIR goes down?

I have the stud wall to build also, this is going straight on the old concrete slab of the garage. Can I fix it to the slab or will I have issues with damp/condensation?
Thinking of drilling into the UB above to secure the top section so nothing is touching the single brick wall.

Morning all, any help with the previous post questions would be appreciated, hoping to crack on with this today.

Have seen another method of setting the stud wall on a single course of eng bricks or similar to provide some protection from damp.

Do I need to leave an air gap between any new stud wall and single skin brickwork?

Cheers

Last edited:
What damp?

It's more the "fear of", if I put the stud wall straight onto the concrete slab with some dpc between surely I'm compromising this when I screw through it? The slab has a DPM around it but a section of the concrete was removed from the bases of the supporting piers when we built the extension on top.

I should probably reword the last post to condensation instead of damp. From what I've read on here and elsewhere the air gap minimises the chances of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back