Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are converting our garage into a living space, the floor construction is DPC, 2inch insulation and 10inch slab. We need to make up the floor level by 160mm. We are told we can just skim over with self-leveling as the floor isn't that bad, directly lay 120mm Kingspan, then lay directly ontop caberdeck, thne overlay with our floor finish. Would this be acceptable? Do we need additional vapour barriers or screed to lay the insulation in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'd do it - 1200g polythene (turned up the wall) - 75mm Celotex - the rest floor screed. No need so self level the floor.

I think nose's fam own a screed business.

The best and easiest thing would be to fill with as much insulation as possible and with board it or just allow for a 75mm screed.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar issue where I have about 140-150 mm but I was thinking more celotex and less screed but is 75mm optimal ?

I’m curious, which costs more per cm, screed or kingspan?

I’m curious, which costs more per cm, screed or kingspan?
The argument is that the insulation will help pay for itself, therefore the more the merrier. I'm sure though, that there comes a point where adding more thickness becomes ineffectual.

Delivery, site storage, handling, cleaning up and dealing with waste aside, assuming 75mm depth, how long does it take to lay an 8x4 sheet of insulation compared to mixing and laying 2.88m2 of screed? :cautious:

The argument is that the insulation will help pay for itself, therefore the more the merrier. I'm sure though, that there comes a point where adding more thickness becomes ineffectual.
Particularly if you start having to ventilate to allow air circulation. The difference between .25 and .19U in a garage might be something like £20 a year, so if it costs another £600 thats quite a wait for payback.

We are looking for the easiest and quickest way. We have been told to self level, 120mm of insulation no wet trades then overboard. No need for a DPM as there is one under the raft. Other question is shuld we dot and dab the plasterboard and skim before laying the floor?

We are looking for the easiest and quickest way. We have been told to self level, 120mm of insulation no wet trades then overboard. No need for a DPM as there is one under the raft.

No need for self-levelling under the insulation. If it is uneven, consider using sand to level it up.

Celotex and/or Kingspan have documents describing how to do it that you can find online. A couple of points, which some may consider unnecessary, are: put a wooden batten around the edges, and put a polythene “slip layer” between the insulation and the chipboard.

We are looking for the easiest and quickest way. We have been told to self level,
Who did? It's quicker and easier not to self level.

shuld we dot and dab the plasterboard and skim before laying the floor?
It matters not. Would you rather be scraping the concrete floor or scraping the timber deck? Do you mind having to pack the plasterboards on bricks etc whist bashing them back into place?

So reading through it appears we have a couple of choices, these would be on the basis of easiest to achieve, cheapest and material availability as we need it done sooner than later.
What does everyone think of the options and are they doable?

Bearing in mind the exsisitng makeup of the floor, DPM, 2inch insulation, 10 inch slab. This was the level garage floor. now we raised by a coarse of bricks and installed bi fold doors, so need to raise the floor 160mm to be level or just below the door threshold with a finished covering. (wooden or carpet)

1. Self level floor, lay DPM, insulate 110mm celotex (dearer option for insulation), caber deck. Self level 5mm, DPM, 110mm insulation, 22mm caber deck, 10mm underlay, 10mm floor covering
2. Screed with dry sand/cement (making up the 10mm difference to use cheaper 100mm jabfloor), DPM insulate with 100mm jabfloor, caber deck. 15mm screed, DPM, 100mm jablite, 22mm caberdeck, 10mm underlay, 10mm floor covering.

Ideally need to use 110mm insulation but expensive £40-£50 per sheet, appose to jablite £20 per sheet but only comes in 100mm. So bit more work to make up the difference with screed but enabling the use of cheaper more readily available insulation.
Any thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back