Insulating a roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to insulate a roof that has tiles and no felt. I don't really want to use glasswool as I am afraid it will touch the tiles and want some air circulation.

So I am left with polysterene? No?

I am therefore trying to get most bang for my buck - so to speak. I have seen the compressed poly. Is this a good option? Which has the best insulation properties of all (name and brand)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
leighv said:
I want to insulate a roof that has tiles and no felt. I don't really want to use glasswool as I am afraid it will touch the tiles and want some air circulation.
Normally the roof rafters are 100mm so use 50mm insulation wool leaving 50mm air gap at the back, bottom and at the top for air circulation.

masona said:
Normally the roof rafters are 100mm so use 50mm insulation wool leaving 50mm air gap at the back, bottom and at the top for air circulation.

Sorry to Hijack. Have the same situation in my house (seems to be same all over Chadwell Heath).

How can we secure insulation wool so as it doesn't fall back down?

Use polyurethane type like kingspan. this is rigid so can be cut to size. also it is available in 50mm, and 50mm of that stuff has a better value than rockwool

Sponsored Links
So are these polyurethane items like polysterene? I would ideally like them to go in between the rafters but allow an air gap. If they go on top of the rafters then the space will be severely limited. Hence why I need the best thermic value possible - R value. I am trying to weigh up Rockwool, Isover, Polysterene (condensed and normal) and any others.

Yes they can be cut and pushed between the wood. they have a silver coating on both sides so reflect heat back in and cold out

Beter value than rock wool and polystyrene

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back