Insulating a skylight

Bet it was fun holding that chunk of glass up while spiking the battens in (or did you cheat and have a friend?). Looks nice and neat, did you sort any trickle vent into that space or are you going to see what happens first? (If the space is well sealed then fingers crossed you'll get no condensation on the acrylic, if you do get a bit then might be worth getting a big silica gel bag and chucking it in the space)

Sponsored Links
Bet it was fun holding that chunk of glass up while spiking the battens in (or did you cheat and have a friend?).
I put two battens up first, then lifted past them at an angle and dropped in place, then fitted the other two battens. For the second skylight I got a couple of those glass handling suction pads which made it a bit easier to lift and place the glass.

Looks nice and neat, did you sort any trickle vent into that space or are you going to see what happens first?
I have desiccant dehumidifier that I pointed at the skylight space for a couple of hours before, and during fitting, so that the air in there was dry to begin with. The skylight dome is not perfectly sealed though so I am hoping that this trickle of air will keep the condensation away. The first one has been in since around October with no issues so hopefully going to be ok for condensation.

Well Have you noticed any difference in temperature ?

Definitely, these were two 1.2m2 sections of the roof, with nothing more than twin walled polycarbonate domes to keep the heat in. The sealed units I fitted were proper low e, argon filled, optimum thickness units, so probably a centre pain u value of about 1.1ish, so in combination with the existing domes it will be slightly less again. I can't imagine the polycarbonate dome and its metal frame would have a u value better than 3 or 4 on its own, so that's a heat loss reduction by a factor of 3 or 4. Units were bought online and including delivery I paid around £300 for the two, with the wood and paint being sourced from my stash.

However, the noticeable effect is comfort. There was a cold down draught right above the sofa, and the dining table, now the snow melts on parts of the flat roof before it melts on the dome! - a reminder that the flat roof insulation needs improved :)

Sponsored Links
Just goes to show you can bring a whole new dimension to secondary glazing and make a nice job of it! Take up a job as a joiner I think!(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back