Insulating rafters

So it's an ifs and ands and pots and pans approach from LABCs is it? Are we going to have to design loft timbers in your area for 5kN/m2, because someone might choose to stick half a camper van up there?

Fortunately, down here in carrot land, they have a more enlightened approach. No fixed stairs, no problem, whether lined out or not. Surveyors will generally only raise it in any event, if they think that there might be a structural issue: and that's only because they don't want a claim on their PI, not because of their philanthropic mindset as to future occupants. Thus, your species are odds-on never to even learn of its existence.

Btw, you don't need to hurl your quals, such as they are, at me, as I think you may have mistaken me for someone who gives a sh*t.

Sponsored Links
if you must know i'm part time, i run my own business for the rest of the week. Oh n freddymercurystwin - ur a w*nker

Sponsored Links
Seems you have a divurgence of opinion from the pragmatic to the dogmatic. Take your pick :)

Mikric is also a BCO. you could ask him for his opinion as well. But, at the end of the day, just like mine, bcs's and anyone else's that's all it is: just an opinion.

If he's put the fear of God up you, go check with your actual LABC. Being Liverpool, it could go either way :). Whatever, it would never be a potential issue unless and until you came to sell, they won't come around your house on-spec and demand entry. The Tin Gods' powers are not that draconian, much as some would have you believe otherwise.

There must be some clear regs of when it becomes a habitable room. With an EPC it needs a window and a fixed staircase. I can't see that you would be only allowed to board the floor and not board the rafters.
As far as I know when selling you can't advertise it as a habitable room, but that is the only problem. If someone wants to stick their kids up there, that is their decision.

bcsurveyor:

So, if i wanted to store 'sensitive' stuff in my loft, stuff that was sensitive enough to warrant insulation, plasterboards etc, you are saying this contravenes a building code?

....and why are conservatories exempt? why don't you have your pound of flesh here too.

...and sheds!

I am replacing the roofing felt on my garden shed this weekend.

Just in case there are any part-time BCOs reading this I would like to state here and now that this does not mean I am planning to live in it - or move my mother-in-law into it in 10 years time. (Though that thought is tempting)

This thread has the makings of a TV sitcom!

Hughie

Does it say anywhere in black and white in the regs that what I am doing is not allowed. Bcsurveyor are you still alive ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back