Insulating rafters

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
so how exactly is converting your loft any different to converting your garage? they are both creating habitable spaces? yet no-one questions an application for converting a garage, yet plasterboarding your loft for 'storage' purposes everyone moans about. While we're on that subject, why on gods earth do you need to do any work, other that putting a few boards down to use your loft for storage. The only reason people ever want to do that kind of work is to use it as a room! And call it storage to try and get away without making an application. Then before you know it theres a couple of beds up there, a computer, and the kids are sleeping in there!!!The mentality of some people is absolutely unbelievable, everyone seems to think the regulations are an obstacle. No one seems to realise the regulations are there for peoples benefit. I know for a fact i wouldnt let my children sleep in a room two floors up only accessible by a ladder. Im sure getting down that in the dark in a blind panic will be fairly easy (I don't think!)

the only reason I mentioned thermal elements is because a lot of people (and I include BCO's in that) do not know how to properly apply it!

so how exactly is converting your loft any different to converting your garage? they are both creating habitable spaces? yet no-one questions an application for converting a garage, yet plasterboarding your loft for 'storage' purposes everyone moans about. While we're on that subject, why on gods earth do you need to do any work, other that putting a few boards down to use your loft for storage. The only reason people ever want to do that kind of work is to use it as a room! And call it storage to try and get away without making an application. Then before you know it theres a couple of beds up there, a computer, and the kids are sleeping in there!!!The mentality of some people is absolutely unbelievable, everyone seems to think the regulations are an obstacle. No one seems to realise the regulations are there for peoples benefit. I know for a fact i wouldnt let my children sleep in a room two floors up only accessible by a ladder. Im sure getting down that in the dark in a blind panic will be fairly easy (I don't think!)

So what I have done is not allowed ?

You are not allowed to line your loft ?

It is strictly getting used for storage as I sell fancy dress costumes on my website and need to store them.

Chill out bc, i'm on your side here!

I encourage the use of building control, when and where necessary and advise all my customers of what is and what is not controlled works.

I just wish b.c. would reciprocate with common sense.

I do not have problems with building control.

In fact, i personally have received plaudits from your very people, via the Built in Quality Award. :LOL:

Shytalkz";p="1159097 said:
No, BRegs were invented to keep jobsworths, incapable of independent thought, in gainful employment, rather than licking windows (Mikric excepted :LOL: ).

:oops: awwww
Poor OP only wanted some advice not war
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Oh and those bus windows can be so moreish :LOL:

So what I have done is not allowed ?

You are not allowed to line your loft ?

It is strictly getting used for storage as I sell fancy dress costumes on my website and need to store them.
Don't flap about it. Some zealot might try to suggest otherwise to you, but as long as you're not ever intending selling the house on the basis of that being a bedroom and don't have a fixed stairs to it, you have a more than plausible "excuse" for storing your tranny kit (we know.... :LOL: ) up there and lining it to keep it from going mouldy.

If someone bought the house from you and if they subsequently put a fixed stairs in and came to sell, claiming it as an extra bedroom, that would be their problem to sort, not yours.

and what exactly are you basing that opinion on???

Either way, the building regulations cover more than just structure? what about renovation of thermal elements etc? Believe me, if this happened in the area I work in, it would be treated as a contravention. I know of several other jobs where exactly the same thing has happened! In fact i had a meeting with somebody only yesterday about the very same thing!
And if you turned up at mine and I'd boarded it and lined it out, without a fixed stairs, I would argue the toss with you for as long as it took to make you see sense. People have been known to live in lofts that have not been modified in anyway whatsoever. How you gonna stop that? All lofts to be sealed off?

Here's a thing: live loading requirement for floors is six times that for a loft space. Joists in the loft space are invariably much smaller than those used for the floors. Yet, time and time again, people cram their lofts with so much stuff, way more than the floors are ever subjected to and yet....it doesn't collapse. Why's that? Because when we design things, we make assumptions and simplifications: just because it doesn't work in a calculation does not mean it will not work in reality. And applying modern design standards to old structures is a load of pants: they were never designed in accordance with them, they stand there, might deflect a bit, but generally are pretty sound. Some fail, but then some new structures fail; and older construction is generally far more tolerant of overloading and concommitant deflection than modern highly-stressed stuff is.

That's the structural bit dealt with. Now, prithee tell, how could he possibly be affecting the thermal properties of his loftspace, unless he's taken the insulation out from between the joists and not bothered replacing it behind his lining?

Why are you so intent on scaring the sh*t out of the OP?

Ok, if you are so sure that you're right, then prove it. I can guarantee you will not be able to provide anything in writing from anyone working within the Building Control proffesion, nor find any technical documents that prove it either? Why i hear you ask, because anything other than providing boarding and a light fitting is generally discouraged due to people using these as bedrooms, study's, computer rooms etc which can be potentially dangerous in an emergency such as a fire. And i'm not just basing this on my own opinion, its the policy my own department have decided to adopt, and upon speaking to BCO's at other authority's (yes we do speak to each other, despite peoples claims that things differ from authority to authority) they agree, and indeed enforce the same policy. Ok, it may be the case that the loft is used for storage in this instance, but that will not stop questions being asked when the property is sold or re-mortgaged. Plus it will not stop potential new owners/tenants using it as a habitable space. Solicitors generally have very little idea about B.Regs, I have letters every week from them requesting written confirmation that conservatorys are exempt!!! they have a field day with loft conversions!!! One particular solicitor i dealt with recently asked for a regularisation certificate AND insisted on an indemnity policy ASWELL!!!! And I really dont see why you decided to lecture everyone on loadings and structural design, that has nothing to do with what we are discussing? In fact if your a structural engineer, you technically not qualified to handing out advice on the B.Regs, stick to structural design, you obviously have more of a clue about that. And before you even start a rant about qualifications, I have a first class honours degree in building control engineering and im a corporate member of the ABE, so I AM QUALIFIED!!!

If have problem when come to sell I will just rip the plaster board lining off and there you go it is now non habitable.

I am allowed to board the floor and insulate the rafter's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back