Insulating water tank loft/cupboard in edinburgh tenement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,

I am a new home owner and am looking for some advice on insulating my water tank cupboard , which is located above my bathroom in my tenement flat(hope i explained it properly as I dont really know the exact terminology for it). I have figured out how to insulate the water tank. But I have the following problems -

1) what type of insulation to use for the floor and the walls of the cupboard?

2) There is a small rectangular slot in the cupboard going towards the bathroom and there is a draught comming through it. I dont know if it was intentional to allow some ventilation or it was just left there for me to sort out! Is it safe to seal it off using insulation material?

3) There are some electrical wires in the loft. What is the procedure for putting insulation material on top of them?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

BR
Rate

Sponsored Links
A picture would be a great help.

I have a feeling that you are talking about what in England is called an Airing Cupboard and in Scotland is called a Hot Press.
I think it has a hot water cylinder in it which might be bare copper or if fairly new should be encased in hard plastic foam

and some copper pipes

and a cold water tank which might be round and or square and should have a lid on it to keep spiders out.

Am I right?

a cylinder
p1053465_l.jpg

a cylinder jacket, abut £12 in your DIY shed
210203-ab0-00co_medium.jpg

a cold water tank
p1758057_l.jpg

pipe insulation (Climaflex is good but there are cheaper ones). up to about 50p a metre. it comes in sizes to fit 15mm or 22mm pipes. you may have some 28mm pipes and that size of insulation is harder to find
210451-ab0-00co_medium.jpg

economy type
210012-ab0-00co_thumb.jpg

"Water Regulations" thicker type
210010-ab0-00co_thumb.jpg

Pipes in an unheated loft space or exposed to outside air must be insulated with the thicker foam.

preformed elbow insulator (about £2)
161203-ab0-00co_thumb.jpg

Electrical cables are better not buried in insulation. Lighting cables do not get hot as they are very lightly loaded, but larger cables for an immersion heater or especially an electric shower are heavily loaded and must not be buried.

I don't know what the ventilation slot is for unless you have a gas boiler in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back