Insulation tape to stop creaky central heating pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central heating in my house was retrofitted before we moved in and the pipes creak when heated but also when you stand on the flooring above (still not sure if it's the pipes creaking or the flooring itself). It looks like the pipes haven't been installed low enough into the beams which means they make slight contact in places with the chipboard flooring that sits on top. I've tried to chisel the pipe recesses a bit deeper but the pipes won't drop any lower so I'm thinking of just chiselling a small channel along the underside of the floorboard so contact is no longer made with the pipes.

To help with the creaking when the pipes are heated, I was thinking of sticking electrical/insulating tape to the inside surface of the beam recesses so that the pipes sit on the tape surface rather than the wood itself. Would this stop the creaking and would the tape be able to withstand the heat? Could I also use the tape directly on the copper pipes where there are two pipes right next to each other?

Attachments

• 20230829_180414.jpg
    20230829_180414.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230829_180436.jpg
    20230829_180436.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Duct tape would probably be a better idea.And some nail in pipe clips to boot !

Sponsored Links
Nail pipe clips into the bottom of the slot that's cut in the joist. They will keep pipes from rubbing against the side of the slot ,floorboards above ,and any pipe alongside.

Ah I see, that makes sense, thanks. Although I don't think there's room within the recess for this. Could potentially chisel out more room but it's a bit awkward with the pipe in place. Hence why I was thinking more along the lines of a thin tape. I think the felt could work in the space I have though.

If the pipes have rub/clean marks on them where the flooring rubs on them then you need to either lower the pipes or use some 1/2mm hardboard tacked to the joists just to lift the board slightly. Pipes rubbing on flooring will eventually wear through and burst, even with felt applied.

If they are moving due to expansion/contraction and creak or click then don't use felt lagging, it's like a sock that goes over the pipe. Ideally use some (edit) single layer wool felt roll and that will just wrap around the pipe where it sits on the wood.

1693340963788.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back