Insulation under a engineered wooden floor

mcg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am new to posting on the forum but have used it for a long time- great resource!

I plan to lay engineered wooden floor, and wanted to know if a good underlay can give the same heat performance as putting rock wool insulation under the floor? It is a joisted suspended floor.

The aim is to have as nicer natural temp underfoot as possible, as have young kids running and crawling around.

Obviously one route is easier than the other, but I want to get it right, so now is the time to do if I need to.

The big question is will we really notice the difference? I am less worried about energy efficiency and money saving etc. it is more about comfort.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Sponsored Links
No insulation under the floor means the system will have to work harder, if you don't care about money then it will make little difference to comfort, though it could possibly make maintaining a stable temperature a little harder as heat loss may make it produce heat in spikes, not very likely though.

If you are ripping up the floor anyway, seems mad not to do it.

An underlay is not insulation, it is mostly there to prevent hot spotting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back