under floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am putting down new engineered flooring over existing floorboards and I am thinking of insulating between the joists using mineral wool suspended with some chicken wire or plastic similar.

I have two questions, will it make much difference if I am already putting underlay and another layer of wood over the top. I am also worried the insulation will increase the chances of damp in the joists.

The main question is, should I bother to do it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I did exactly that and it has made a difference. As long as the subfloor is well ventilated then it shouldn't have any damp issues.

I'm going from no insulation and draughty floorboards to insulation and sealed floors so I'm hoping for a big difference. Just wish I had bought the insulation when it was cheaper last year!

My joists are just under 100mm so will be insulating to that level.

Sponsored Links
Did you use a breathable membrane like they use in roofs or a mesh. I think the membrane would work better to reduce draughts and keep the heat in the insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back