Insurance work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am looking for some guidance if possible from those whom have done this type of work in the past. I have been asked by said customer to price for the renewal of his bathroom floor following a massive leak. The floor is tiled with chipboard flooring underneath and has blown. Now I am comfortable with pricing the job but there are a few elements which are giving me concern.

The bathroom is tiled floor to ceiling and the walls are dry lined with tiles stuck directly to dry lining, preferably I would like to take the bath out as well as all the other sanitary ware, but, the bath is tiled in and the tiles are discontinued thus I would have to remove the floor with bath in situ is this feasible?. Also the bath is against the wall which is the living room on the other side on examining the floor in this room the water has leeched through for about 400mm and this floor is amazingly wet as well, which leads me to think that the partition wall is probably saturated. The partition wall is U Channel, not timber.

So I am pricing to remove floor tiles and all affected chipboard floor, replace floor and re tile it. But if this cant be done with the bath in situ then in my opinion the whole bathroom will need to ripped out including drylining and started again? What do you reckon please?

Sponsored Links
Price the work as if the maximum amount of work would have to be carried out, don't forget the customer is getting 3 quotes for the insurance. So unless you are the cheapest- you won't get the job.

I always charge when I'm giving an insurance estimate as the lowest price always wins.

Andy

Price to rip it out and start again.

There will no doubt be negotiations betwixt insurers and trades, so aim high.

You won't be the only one quoting either.

Your customers policy might not cover consiquential loss so ripping the whole bathroom out just to repair the initial damage my leave them with a big bill, best get them to check first that they're covered

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for all your replies, this is type of work I am very inexperienced in and because I am a one man band I can't afford the outlay that this type of work dictates, so I have decided "with regret to turn it down".
Thank you all you have helped me come to this realisations.

Cheers.

Back