Insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

Please can you help with the following , I am studying for my level 3 2330 and I am keen to pick up practical experience.

My approach has been to send letters explaining who I am , what i am studying and what I want to acheive. I work 4 days on 4 days off at the moment so any work was experience only i.e. free labour. I have worked on a couple of rewires with a friend who is a qualified electrician where I was generally house bashing but hey thats great (other then the thick stone walls) , I was sent up into the loft etc to loop in the wiring , routing the cables under the flooe boards all good stuff and a different/better way to learn than looking at the text book.

Following a letter I had sent i got a call from a company offering me some work , he explained how he was once in my position and how his knowledge would be beneficial to me. He asked me to call him at the weekend which I did and I hav'nt heard anything since. I called y'day and he rang me back but then cut me off and again i haven't heard anything since (I have accepeted that he is no longer interested) Is the issue here likely to be 1/the insurance factor i.e. am insured to work under his company insurance or is that something I need to sort out 2/the work was no longer there or both , its frustrating , I would much rather receive an honest response as I have received plenty of knockbacks since I started looking for experience.

Sponsored Links
Dont be disheartened , and persevere.

Many companies have Millions of pounds worth of insurance,
Unless you are a exceptionally high risk, I would have thought you would just be in the pool with the other blokes , as an employee.

Many firms are busy and rather spend time making money than talking to the employees or potential ones.
I worked for a firm that banned you from even going to the office.

Not being nasty or personall but
Ask someone close to you to give you a honest opinion of yourself.
Maybe you are unwittingly doing something.
Maybe being too keen or pushy or something without realising.
The employee would want someone that blends in with the company.
Maybe write to that bloke again saying you realise there is nothing at the moment, and ask him to bear you in mind if anything comes up in the near future,he may be busy and genuingly forgot, and may even contact you.

Thanks for your response

I basically went through the Yellow pages and made a note of electricians in the area , drafted up a letter and posted out about twenty. I have had repsonses back advising me that insurance doesn't cover work experience etc
I asked a few people to read over the letter and they advised me it doesn't come across as pushy , I do appreciate that electricians aren't going to call me up when they need to go and put in a new double socket. Maybe they are waiting for a rewire job and then I may be of some use.

I will perserve with it

Cheers

Ste

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back