Intended Alterations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't make an electrical drawing to save my life as I'm not too conversant with the symbols, so I'm hoping that what I've drawn is understandable to you. Will you have a look at this one for me and tell me if the new cable and junction boxes are up to scratch, and point out any other problems or errors you think I might be making.
Thanks
Sorry can't suss out how to upload from my PC, but here's a link: (click the photos tab on the left to get full size image.

http://spaces.msn.com/mrblueskye/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01_blogpart=myspace&_c02_owner=1&_c=blogpart

Sponsored Links
Yup,
The wire on the ring main side of the FCU should be in 2.5mm² twin and earth. The outgoing side can be 1.5mm². All junction boxes need to be accessable. Apart from this it looks fine (providing cables are run in prescribed zones).

x1pxzZ39wV--_d6zrTDMPW8rf9ZWtYvvVsdnApCW5vT8--qdzNR05r-0kn88BN0GEh7VfelSrVGI1kWZGZi3mqE_e_0d6vzC7R5c6JEoEQKNeSsVMPIBs2a2FYDaZCYIYWOi6aQOgNeaBg

Thanks S123, Had a suspicion that 1.5 might need to be 2.5 and thanks for taking the time to
1.) Upload the image to the site
2.) Have a look and advise.

On looking it seems the fused spur I have in my box of tricks is a 13 amp, can I assume it will be OK to use for my light as long as I only use a 5 amp fuse in it?

Heh heh "Prescribed Zones" and cable trays in my 1895 built house are the spaces between joists and floors.

Once again
Thanks
RH

Sponsored Links
Can you not

1) start the new cable run at the socket, thus avoiding one of the JBs, and

2) Wire the FCU directly onto the ring, thus avoiding the other JB

?

ban-all-sheds said:
Can you not

1) start the new cable run at the socket, thus avoiding one of the JBs

Unfortunately the Existng twin sockets cabling is in patterned plaster or I would have taken that route.

2) Wire the FCU directly onto the ring, thus avoiding the other JB

?

I'd thought about wiring my fused spur into the new right hand twin socket, but was concerned about crowding the 3 x 2.5 twin and earths into the socket back box.

Once again thanks to you all for your excellent advice.
RH

I'd thought about wiring my fused spur into the new right hand twin socket, but was concerned about crowding the 3 x 2.5 twin and earths into the socket back box.
That's not what I meant.

Do this:

newroute.jpg

ban-all-sheds said:
That's not what I meant.

Do this:

newroute.jpg

Just checked my csu, yes enough room in there! Thanks

There will be - they are designed to be wired directly onto a socket circuit like this:

FCU2.gif

"There will be - they are designed to be wired directly onto a socket circuit like this"

Thanks got that one covered.
I'm about "above intermediate" in Jack of all trades, excepting that I am at master in welding and fabrication :D

Works completed and no gliches.

Thanks to you all for the excellent advice and ideas offered.

It's so nice to talk with tradesman who don't have the "tell em nowt" mentality.

This is a marvelous website
RH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back