Interest rates up

Sponsored Links
which gets you to 322, avg (mean) contribution
You still don't get it do you...

So I have to repeat....which bit of 'average UK wage and EU contributions' do you not get?

The average taxpayer pays roughly £80.

Higher taxpayers pay more.
Lower taxpayers pay less.

You are confusing contributions divided by all taxpayers and contributions paid by the average taxpayer - which is the point I was making.

If you (as you claim) pay "well over 20 times more tax than the "average wage earner in the UK", then you are paying well over the 'average' for all services/provisions/EU contributions.
Equally those paying way less tax than the "average wage earner in the UK", are paying well under the 'average' for ALL services/provisions/EU contributions.
(EU contributions are but 0.7% of government spending)

It really is very very simple - even a supposed 'high taxpayer' should be able to understand that :rolleyes:

I pay well over 20 times more tax than the "average wage earner in the UK".

I'm sure schoolchildren, users of the NHS, and pensioners, are very grateful for your prosperity

chart

I'm sure you'll agree that "earning a lot of money and paying some tax on it" is nothing to complain about. The reverse would be much less desirable.

The 'average' wage of workers in the UK is based on a figure of all wages put together and divided by the number of workers..

So according to Ellal if we multiply £40 × number of people working in UK we should arrive at the amount of money we pay the EU each year.

Or £80 if you prefer that figure.

Lets see how that works for ya :ROFLMAO:

Hint: its nothing to do with average or median, it is the way your original statement was phrased

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So according to Ellal if we multiply £40 × number of people working in UK we should arrive at the amount of money we pay the EU each year.

Or £80 if you prefer that figure.

Lets see how that works for ya :ROFLMAO:
Doh!

Number of Taxpayers doesn't equal 'number of people working in UK'!

But btw, how hard do you have to work at it to become as stupid as you appear to want us to think you are?

How much training do you have to do, or are you just naturally talented?

But hey, keep on posting your ignorant comments...

'Laughing stock' was a previous suitable label for you, and even more fitting now (y)

Doh!

Number of Taxpayers doesn't equal 'number of people working in UK'!

But btw, how hard do you have to work at it to become as stupid as you appear to want us to think you are?

How much training do you have to do, or are you just naturally talented?

But hey, keep on posting your ignorant comments...

'Laughing stock' was a previous suitable label for you, and even more fitting now (y)

Use number of taxpayers if you prefer, it makes no odds

Ah bless Ellal still cant understand why his figure and Motorbikings figure dont correlate.

Ellal still cant understand why his figure and Motorbikings figure dont correlate.
I understand exactly why they don't correlate...

I'm right and he/you are wrong...simples!

Btw, how's that figure on the side of that red bus shaping up :LOL:

Use number of taxpayers if you prefer, it makes no odds

Last edited:
unfortunately not.

This statement “The average taxpayer pays roughly £80.”. Is completely wrong.

A person earning the Avg wage is not a person paying the avg tax. The avg tax paid is much higher because there are vastly fewer people earning above the avg wage. You’ve failed to grasp the distribution which is why nobody is jumping to your defence. It also explains why the avg contribution isn’t £80 whether you count employed people or all tax payers.

Last edited:
I understand exactly why they don't correlate.

You said:
But the average wage earner in the UK pays only about £80 a year in contributions to the EU.

Although you did not make it clear, the inference you have made is that the average wage earner contributes £80 per year from direct taxation on earnings.

Everybody will actually pay far more because the government receives revenue from many other sources of taxation.

The £40 shown on the pie chart only shows what the government has allocated from tax on earnings.

There will also be an EU contribution allocated on other taxes: VAT, employers NIC, corporation tax, fuel duty, stamp futy, inheritance tax, capital gains etc

A person earning the Avg wage is not a person paying the avg tax.
...and the huge majority earn less than the average wage.

The avg tax paid is much higher because there are vastly fewer people earning above the avg wage.
...but there are vastly more paying relatively little or none.

Is that counting the average tax as - tax divided by number of tax payers or tax divided by number of employed; including those who pay little no tax.
Does it not work out the same? I can't square it in my mind.

Do you know what is the relationship between the average wage and average tax?

Not arguing; just curious.

There are about 32M people working in the UK, approx 26M are UK nationals, the rest are EU and other citizens. I'm not sure there can be a huge majority paying less, I don't know. At some point you wont be counted as working. Of course there are pensioners who pay income tax. The difference between the tax paid by someone on the avg wage, which according to an earlier link was around 4-5k per year and the avg income tax paid by those in employment is around 50%.. its about 7k

I am just thinking of the arithmatic.

If the average wage is 25,000,
then, for example, 100 people will earn 2,500,000 so, if only one person earns more the 25,000, all the rest must earn less than 25,000.

It's unlikely that half will earn more and half will earn less because some may earn a lot more (one person earning double or more would leave nothing for one or more of the others).
If 10 people of the 100 earn 100,000 (1,000,000) that only leaves 1,500,000 for the other 90; an average of 16,666.

How the average tax works out, I do not know, especially as the really high earners while increasing the average wage seem to pay relatively little tax therefore reducing the average tax.

Although you did not make it clear, the inference you have made is that the average wage earner contributes £80 per year from direct taxation on earnings.

Everybody will actually pay far more because the government receives revenue from many other sources of taxation.

The £40 shown on the pie chart only shows what the government has allocated from tax on earnings.

There will also be an EU contribution allocated on other taxes: VAT, employers NIC, corporation tax, fuel duty, stamp futy, inheritance tax, capital gains etc
I made it perfectly clear...

However it appears you have a problem with 'where your taxes go'...

All the other examples you mention go into the general UK taxation pot - for usage in the UK!

Do you really believe that (taking an example of yours), the EU gets an allocated cut of UK inheritance tax?

MOD Please keep your posts free from personal insults.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just thinking of the arithmatic.

If the average wage is 25,000,
then, for example, 100 people will earn 2,500,000 so, if only one person earns more the 25,000, all the rest must earn less than 25,000.

It's unlikely that half will earn more and half will earn less because some may earn a lot more (one person earning double or more would leave nothing for one or more of the others).
If 10 people of the 100 earn 100,000 (1,000,000) that only leaves 1,500,000 for the other 90; an average of 16,666.

How the average tax works out, I do not know, especially as the really high earners while increasing the average wage seem to pay relatively little tax therefore reducing the average tax.

It looks like you are right, though its not a large majority. Its skewed by the fact that nearly 50% off all income tax is paid by those in the top 5% and you don't have to go too much below the national avg, before you get a chunk of tax credits back. I did find the data surprising, I guess £20k a year is a very different thing in West Yorkshire vs West Sussex.

For earnings, the arithmetic mean is not a good indicator. One billionaire can skew the results of thousands of people on low pay and give a misleading impression.

The mid-point is often used (50% of the population earn more, 50% earn less).

Sometimes a range including the Mode is used (e.g. if 50% of the population earn between £20 and £40).

Sponsored Links
Back