Intermittent light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a strange problem with a few of my lights. At the back door there is a double light switch, (A + B) A feeds two bulbs, B feeds one.
A single live wire comes down to the com on A, and bridges to B.
No idea what happens to the neutral.

The light worked to my knowledge for atleast 7 years, then for no reason it started to do the following random things when switched on.

90% the time=no effect.
8% light would flicker but no effect.
2% light will come on and works until turned off.

This applies to both A+B, strange thing is, once one of the switches goes on, you can turn the other on and off 100% of the time, dosent matter which order you do it in.

I have changed the switch to no effect, bulbs are energy saving, but i have tried normal to no effect, my best guess is that somewhere along the live before the switch a connection is loose, but the intermittent nature of it is confusing. Anyone got any ideas before I rip the cieling down and run new cables in ???

Sponsored Links
The switch only switches the live supply, neutral straight to light fitting.
Have you you checked for bad connections at the light fitting?.
Im not an electrician,

When I said No idea what happened to the neutral, what I meant was that it was tucked up in the roof and had no idea as to how it was layed out, because I cant see it. I have checked the light fittings, but not changed them, 'A' has two bulb fittings which are old, 'B' has a brand new fitting, (fitted when I put the new switch in, after the problem). I didnt change any on 'A' as im fairly sure the problem is further back, any ideas on how this could happen would be useful, could a loose screw in chop block cause the problem, Im not convinced due to the fact that, once one works, you can keep it on for days. Thats not consistent with a loose connection.

could a loose screw in chop block cause the problem, Im not convinced due to the fact that, once one works, you can keep it on for days. Thats not consistent with a loose connection.

I had an outside 13amp socket that would work 1 day not the next, would also trip the supply, went on for weeks. The electrician had left a terminal screw loose.

Sponsored Links
Strangely it never trips the consumer unit, so logic would say that the live feed is being interrupted after it spurs off from the main line, it feels more like a switch problem as it seems to respond to events that are related to the switch opposed to some random timing of a loose screw further back, But I am kind of eliminating the switch as it was replaced and produced the same effect as the old one, but logically thats probably the most likley source of the problem. I think I will pull the switch off again and do some more tests...

...after more tests, it wasnt the switch, pulled cieling down and located connecting rose, turns out to be a loose connection :(

Glad you found the problem.

Why did you need to take the ceiling down?
The ceiling rose should have been mounted on the surface and available for inspection - as is the case with all screwed terminations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back