Internal wall Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

3 years ago we had an internal structural wall removed, a steel beam installed and put back together by a builder. The was wall separating a kitchen to a dining room and now its open plan, the wall taken down was about 2mtrs long.

We are wanting to sell the house but the builder has stop trading and I cant find the building regs etc we had for this anywhere!

I have his receipt of work etc but nothing else.

What should i do or do not need to do anything?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody,

I’ve contacted them and they have no record??

If there isn’t any record what would be the best action?

If they have no record that implies that the builder did not make an application.

If it is required that you need certification for the sale (ie it gets noticed and flagged up) then you can make a retrospective application called Regularisation. This will involve opening up the ceiling or floor to check that the support used is suitable. Some mess and making good. Obviously you need to be sure that whatever work was done was done correctly, else you will need to bring it up to standard.

Whether you choose to do this first, or wing it and see what happens is something to think about.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

I do have photos of it being installed so not sure if that would help???

Thanks for that.

I do have photos of it being installed so not sure if that would help???

It may help/be sufficient, you would need photos of not just the steel but also bearing etc. also.

If "nibs" have been left, and there is a downstand/boxed beam below the ceiling it is usually relatively simple. as the works are more straightforward to asses.

Here’s one of a few images showing the steel and the wall nibs it is sat in.

Reading this I think I will just wait and see if it is brought up and if so I’ll sort it then!

Probably the best action to be fair.

Attachments

• 76D87FC0-B0A3-4CD7-8735-99BDD46260DD.jpeg
    76D87FC0-B0A3-4CD7-8735-99BDD46260DD.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 380
If a house it probably won't get flagged unless a planning application exists showing an old layout (as how do they know it wasn't always like that?), if a flat your layout won't match the lease so probably would get flagged.

Looking at it I'd guess it is a 152(h)x89(w)x16(mass/m), this is a standard Beam Size (based on the blocks being standard at 215mm tall and 100mm wide), and also bearing at least 150mm on the block wall which is normal practice. BC can probably confirm if this is sufficient and regularise without knocking holes but up to the discretion of BC.

Thanks it8480,

It is a house and I’m hoping it won’t but good to have a plan B.

If it does get flagged up for building regs where is my first point of call to get it sorted?

Say you've lost the papers, the builder did it all, play dumb and wait until the buyers solicitors demand a £150 indemnity then agree to it. Cheaper than regularisation too.
Thanks Garyo,

Will this sort it then?

If enough time has passed, and your buyers are reasonable. Most people would think that if it's stood for six years with little distress then there's not much wrong with it, and be happy to take their solicitors advice for an indemnity policy.

It'll also depend how/if you describe it on the sellers questionnaire when you have to list the work you've had done.

It'll also depend how/if you describe it on the sellers questionnaire when you have to list the work you've had done.

It’s been done three years and I have mentioned in my questionnaire that a section of an internal wall was removed by a builder which was all taken care of by them.

Suppose it’s a waiting game now and I’ll see what they come back with before I do anything.

Thanks for the help.

Word,
Agree 100% with Garo - "Say you've lost the papers, the builder did it all, play dumb and wait until the buyers solicitors demand a £150 indemnity then agree to it".

But note that my understanding is that if you start making an application with Council now, you cannot then take out an Indemnity (because Indemnity providers will say, 'hang on, you know you have a problem, so you cannot now insure for a possible problem when you know their is a problem'.

So as Garo said, do nothing, go for indemnity, and if that refused by buyer, only then consider application with Council.
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back