Internal wall supporting gable end wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1695665156806.png

Above is a crayon'd plan of my house (1930's brick, gable roof) before extension work started. I'm kinda curious about the function of the wall highlighted red joining the chimney stack to the rear gable wall. All of the first floor walls, except this one, are fibreboard over timber. This is single skin brick. Downstairs the internal walls are similarly single skin brick. The chimney stack is brick (obviously) and downstairs is more massive to incorporate an integrated oven.

Anyhow, as part of the extension/renovation I'm wanting to demolish all that is marked in red, eventually. (the chimney stack is gone from top down to first floor ceilling)- I'm aware there'll be a need for supporting of the upstairs floor when the stack comes down to that level, but that's another issue. I'm confident that this upstairs rear internal wall is not directly supporting any ceiling/roofing elements.

So...

What could the purpose of the single internal brick wall be? Why did the designers decide to include it?
Is it supporting the chimney stack against the rear wall? or is it supporting the rear wall against the chimney? maybe a bit of both?
Will my house fall down if I remove this wall (the chimney stack will come down first/at the same time)??

thanks.. :)

Sponsored Links
If anything, the only thing internal walls support in houses are floors and roofs.

If anything, the only thing internal walls support in houses are floors and roofs.
Roof is raised tie design, with big purlins running front to back, and relatively thin (3") ceiling joists running across - the wall in question barely touches them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back