Internal waste inspection cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our drain hasn't blocked for a good 5 years, so I decided I'd lift the cover on our internal inspection chamber (under the kitchen floor) to take a look. Some crud had gathered, but the water was flowing through the trap. No major problems there I thought, but something will need doing at some stage.

I decided to loosely replace the cover, go and eat, then fish out the bits of accumulated washing powder etc... after dinner.

A bit later on the wife tells me she can hear a noise under the kitchen floor, and to my horror I can see effluent gurgling up through the screw holes!

Cut a long story short, the sewage system decided to block itself about two doors down and we had to get the water authorities out to unblock it. Fortunately they came within an hour to unblock it and the smell went pretty quickly after a couple of hours with all the windows open but can you believe the luck?

The moral of the story? Always check your external chamber before you go lifting any internal covers!

S.

Sponsored Links
That prompts me to ask a serious question. I thought that some water authorities do not allow foul water inspection manhole covers inside a house - even double sealed ones. This has bugged me for some time as I would like to do this.

diymistthings

Sponsored Links
That prompts me to ask a serious question. I thought that some water authorities do not allow foul water inspection manhole covers inside a house - even double sealed ones. This has bugged me for some time as I would like to do this.

diymistthings

The WA only has a say in it if the drains are in their remit. A private branch to just your house would not be.
Note that shared private branches are now adopted by the WA.

Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back