is 240v really that dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I don't know if it was an urban myth or not, but someone I used to work with told me about a chap who worked in a gantree crane in a steelworks. The chap got out of his cab and needed to go to the gents - only the gents is a long way to go from a gantree - so he relived himself from the cab door. When your doing your business its helpful to have something to aim for, so he chose a bus bar that powered the crane motors. Urine is rich in salt so very conductive. Now imagine the entry burn....
Which, wincingly, brings to mind a story an old farmer told me years ago. Again, dunno if it's a myth or real, but the suggestion was that people had peed on third rail power tracks. I can well believe that people would try it, and unless their shoes and the ground were reasonably well insulating,I imagine the results would be more than unpleasant :eek:
I used to work with a guy who'd been with CEGB in the fifties. He told me they found a lot of corrosion on some Pyro in a basement area of his power station, and couldn't understand why, until someone working late followed the night security guard and caught him urinating on the wall with the Pyro on. After repeated warnings, he was still doing it, so they laid a sheet of weldmesh on the floor in his preferred area and connected a Megger between the weldmesh and the outer sheath of the Pyro. A few turns of the Megger handle later, security guard exited screaming. Afterwards he relieved himself somewhere more appropriate.
Difficult to do that now even if you wanted to, you are probably being watched by about half a dozen cameras. Remember behind every camera, there is a pervert watching you go about doing your business!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back