Is a PRV needed on combi conversion wtih 6bar mains?

its just plain odd...

simply put I would reduce the mains just after the stop cock to 3 bar, with an expansion vessel and be done with it.

by having two separate valves you will end up with unbalanced hot and cold, and this will most likely cause you some problems.

Thanks hazetimesfive, I think we are having these problems as the rads are unbalanced (despite me getting him round to balance them already). I should say that they installed these two PRVs in a belated attempt to stop the noise but positioned it as an 'experiment' as they said they didnt' know what the problem was and therefore what else to try. I am most concnered that correct install of one PRV/expansion vessel or whatever is most suitable should have been done during install and would have avoided the current many pains andn leaks (shower also squeals...). Thanks so much for your help.

Sponsored Links
That answer your question then doesn't it.

6bar is fine so you're down to the install and installer question.

At 6bar pipes need well fixing or they are going to snake all over the place.

Is the 5 leaks on new or existing pipes and what material.

In my opinion 3bar is plenty for most domestic properties.

Leaks were a mixture of things:

Leak 1: shower pump under bath exploded (had not been decommissioned), water ran down into kitchen.
Leak 2: join in legacy pipe feeding a basin in ensuite, gradually seeping which was unoticed for a while - chipboard cabinet completely swelled and broken and wall damp.
Leak 3: shower dial starting dripping after use, then constantly - destroyed partition wall behind shower into wardrobe (though sealant was worn too).
Leak 4: stop cock under sink in downstairs toilet starting dripping and also ruined cabinet
Leak 5: Not attributable to issues on reflection - bad shower design and sealant issues (other shower).

All new piping is coppe, no new piping has leaked.

I'm assuming you had a tank fed system before and this new system is from the mains??

just to clarify anyone who converts a downs system to 6 bar incoming without hydraulic testing the pipework needs a slap.

What was the mains pressure before the works.

And before you go any further the high mains pressure has nothing to do or is connected to the heating system.

Can you start front the top and list each problem and what the noise is.

Looks to me like there's several unrelated problems.

Sponsored Links
just to clarify anyone who converts a downs system to 6 bar incoming without hydraulic testing the pipework needs a slap.

Why? when I converted mine the first thing that split was the washing machine hoses, not even God would have thought of that one :eek:

I'm assuming you had a tank fed system before and this new system is from the mains??

Your assumption is correct, they decomisioned the tank in loft, and removed the cylinder upstairs.

:s that is what I've been suspecting...

it's different when its yours :)

try it on someone elses gaff ;)

that noisy pipe you mentioned is most likely due to a restriction somewhere around that section, a valve partially closed etc.. most likely culprit for a jet engine sound

well then, they are responsible for the leaks on the old pipework too then.

no doubt they have insurance..

What was the mains pressure before the works.

And before you go any further the high mains pressure has nothing to do or is connected to the heating system.

Can you start front the top and list each problem and what the noise is.

Looks to me like there's several unrelated problems.

We were not living in the house before the works, but I am a bit confused by the question as I assumed the mains pressure was the mains pressure independent of the system?

There are lots of possibly related or unrelated problems. Was trying to keep the post simple as I have a tendancy to be long winded, but very happy to go into the detail. Will have to be tomorrow though as sleep is required and long overdue. Hope you can bear with me :)

well i was just about to suggest going to bed you know...

apparently i have a business to run.. every morning :)

it's different when its yours :)

try it on someone elses gaff ;)

that noisy pipe you mentioned is most likely due to a restriction somewhere around that section, a valve partially closed etc.. most likely culprit for a jet engine sound

Yes that's the view of everyone that's heard it. Weird part is that previous owners swear there was never any noise, but plumber maintains it would always have been there as the pipe is a cold pipe which would always have been mains pressured. Hoping there is someway to avoid taking up floors as they have been restored now :(

Saran, sorry, your installers are knobs.

Not only do they pay for a pretty sticker to fool homeowners, they also have no idea.

You need, as stated, a prv fitted to your incoming main, before any tees or splits. Your boiler, being largely plastic and held together with hair clips and elastic bands (seriously) needs protecting.

Its not your fault, and the highflow isn't a bad boiler, but it seems that with 20 minutes face to face, wither one of us to give advise so far this evening would make you more understanding that the installer.

Except maybe DIA...,he's a bit old and slow.... but he gets there in the end ;)

You can go off some people you know.

How the other problem Dan, after the party I may delete and reinstall..

Op. we need to know all the issues as requested, just a list of the problems.

For example radiator noises are not connected to hot water noises.

It's all settle dnow bud - no interaction from me - I let the software do its thing and all righted itself.

I might just subscribe to Skydrive and set an independent backup routine for that.... if you totally delete you DB copy, reinstall teh Drive software and download from scratch things should be OK.

No point me doing the SD thing until the DB and CCR are totally in sync.

Man that is so much easier to type now I'm out of the bath :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back