Is Gas safe just a front for expensive morons ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler "serviced" for 9 years by same man...all the registrations known to man and a real if its gas you must not even look at it attitude, which being a engineer myself I thought great, must know his stuff....

Boiler started to bang on lighting, then lit and went out. Boiler man called...1 Hour of diagnosing @£85 the fault was our boiler was passed its prime and need to be replaced 12 years old and its a Biasi so you got your moneys worth.....diagnosis primary heat exchanger leak. Would order a new one and install within a week.

Boiler not working so being a curious cat opened up said boiler...water in inspection glass...ooh that's odd. Why oh why was it not draining away via the condensate trap. Remove condensate trap water gushed out....oh what a surprise. Inside the trap filled to the brim with sludge, ball valve stuck to the bottom.

Second moron arrives to fix first morons work...1/2 inch driver to remove 10mm nut off stud holding the boiler faceplate on ...wow the stud sheared, one thinks that having the word engineer in their trade title a gas safe engineer would know to perhaps spray said nuts with a little penetrating fluid or even some wd40 you know as they exposed to heat and moisture in their working environment...but no what you do is apply 120 newton of force to said mild steel nut....Then clever clogs decides to remove the sparker and flame detector with a impact driver....can you guess what happened to the mild steal pz1 screw heads...ooh you can can't you.

Lucky for him I work a a place that has all manner of goodies to fix said bodge work. Induction welding a new stud to the sheared on in situ is not difficult if your are an engineer , the kit costs less that a basic boiler. Two screws drilled out and tapped, one stud weld and a rethread we are back to the start, tap and die set are what £40 quid...but no not in the armoury of said engineer.

Still engineer 2 only charged £95 quid for the two trips, and 4 hours he took to get the boiler going out of sheer embarrassment, new insulation to replace the sodden stuff left by the swimming pool in my boiler...He had three goes a hand cleaning the electrodes, fan and face plate off method before taking some gentle advice to check the resistance with a meter...ooh was all that dark grey coating not conductive after all, whats that shiny stuff under it...has the stainless from the burner plated inself to to the electrodes in the presence of acid condensate water ???? what a surprise it would do that perhaps being a gas safe engineer does not involve some basic chemistry like all other engineers.

The end to all this was a complaint about engineer 1 to his trade association...the reply says it all..We have written to the engineer and reminded him of his basic competencies......what check the drain is clear as per the service manual ??????Ie do his job he is paid to do?

Is Gas Safe just a front for the talk bloocks dodge it and leggit brigade to shelter in? In my world if we bodge it up half of southern england starts glowing in the dark and yet we have no trade association to hide behind

Rant over.

Sponsored Links
I have always thought it odd that simply being Gas Safe means that you are deemed to be capable of fixing any given boiler.

I recall reading the engineer service manual for my old boiler- it recommended, for example, checking the voltages between certain components. Not one single engineer that worked on the boiler ever did that.

BTW, I am not being critical of ALL gas safe boilers.

BTW, I am not being critical of ALL gas safe boilers.
Boilers?

@martygturner Gas safe is simply a registration and governing body, they’re not there to make sure engineers diagnose boiler faults correctly and charge accordingly.

Sponsored Links
I have always thought it odd that simply being Gas Safe means that you are deemed to be capable of fixing any given boiler.

It is odd but understandable from the public image of GasSafe as being an organisation that ensures totally safe and competent engineers ( technicians ) can be found,

Reality is that GasSafe registration means that the registered person has the knowledge ( been trained ) to be able to :-

(1) work safely on gas pipework
(2) diagnose faults directly related to the supply and combustion of gas in certain types of gas appliance.
(3) read and understand the manufacturer's basic installation, maintenance and fault finding for the appliances they are approved to work on.

The training / appraisal system does not ( based on my experience ) include anything more than very basic fault finding processes for the electrical and electronic modules found in modern boiler.

Their should be no bad gas safe engineers...the name say's it all, unless I am expecting to much ?

I trusted another supposed engineer who turned out to be nothing of the sort and went along with his gobbledygook..why the white vapor clouds...gas has a lot of water in it these days..well no it was the swimming pool being evaporated each time the boiler fires, why was the boiler using more energy, its getting old, err no half of it was submerged, the thing is I feel duped and I am an engineer. god knows what the rest of the public are getting. Its the gas safe bit...how can something be safe when its plainly not....If you are going to shove a probe in somewhere at least understand the results...how on earth can a you be trained and not know that poor combustion is not the fault of an old boiler but of a damaged boiler, why was the temperature of the flue gas so low, what's lowering the yield, why is the flame front yellow instead of blue. I know lets make steam ..I mean just how unsafe can that be ? lets not know that the boiler increases the flow rate of gas to compensate for all that extra steam, why am i not at temp, lets heat things up some more...wow that bangining on ignition not a detonation of gas then as it reaches an explosive concentration in a vastly reduced space, no that's really safe.

Just how do you trust a closed shop that guards its gates with you must not know...yes you should know its you house and its your family not theirs. I have to show and tell my work , record my work and have my work inspected. I am personally responsible for my work. The buck stops with me. Yet gas safe engineers just casually pass the buck up and down, if you don't like it complain, hi I want to complain, then what happens is the the trade body starts by telling you you are the problem, how dare you complain, how did you get the secret knowledge, you know nothing only we know, it must be a rogue engineer, we will fix that with a letter, mustn't stop the chap from earning a living,...err is that not what being gas safe is supposed to fix ?????

Spent 30 odd years as a gas engineer, sadly like the driving test you may pass the test on one day, but you can still be a liability on the road.
I have known lots of good gas fitters but there were some I would not trust to put a no answer card through the door for me!

Unfortunately it's like so many trades, they do a fast track training course and suddenly they are engineers. Experience and long study, counts for nothing.

What I think is even worse is Diyers answering gas/boiler questions, arguing with gas engineers on this site!

Andy

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I see the Stalker is still alive and trying to make a nuisance of himself! Guess he has nothing more productive to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back