Is Gravity Normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My mother-in-law has a leaking cylinder.
She is being quoted £450 to replace it (part included). Is that an okay price?

Secondly - and perhaps more worryingly - the plumber is saying the it is a gravity fed system and he hasn't done one before?
Is gravity that rare? Should I be worried?

I am a DIYer (screened the kitchen floor, plastered a wall, change taps etc) - is it something I should attempt myself?

Help and advice GREATLY appreciated!

If I look at Screwfix - there are tons of cylinders - none say gravity? so what type would I need..

ahh! too many questions! :)

Sponsored Links
gravity was really common and i would prob be concerned if hasn't done one before, especially as you are no longer allowed to fit them this way.
what has he quoted to do? all cylinders fitted now must have some sort of temp control (eff regs)

thats very cheap, avererage cost of cylinder is £2-300.then parts eg.inhibitor fittiings.id take it you have an indirect cylinder.with a heating system gravity flow and return.sounds to me the plumber is a bit inexperienced, be aware.

Speaking the mother in law just now..
it's £550! I don't know if she was too embarrassed to tell me...

Quoted to replace cylinder + emersion heater.. I don't know about temp controls, but I am more worried about not having done a gravity system before!

Does £550 sound okay??

Sponsored Links
thats very cheap, avererage cost of cylinder is £2-300.then parts eg.inhibitor fittiings.id take it you have an indirect cylinder.with a heating system gravity flow and return.sounds to me the plumber is a bit inexperienced, be aware.

It's a boiler downstairs, feeding up to a cylinder on the middle floor, and tank in the loft.. - does that answer it?

Yes - definitely inexperienced from the sound of it..
Are there many parts involved here?
And is it something I should consider taking on?

gravity was really common and i would prob be concerned if hasn't done one before, especially as you are no longer allowed to fit them this way.
what has he quoted to do? all cylinders fitted now must have some sort of temp control (eff regs)

It is perfectly legal to change a gravity cylinder for another, without loads of extra's.

The OP needs to make certain that the new cylinder is suitable for gravity primaries, other than that it's a simple job.

The other thing you should do is check his Public liability insurance is up to date.

It is perfectly legal to change a gravity cylinder for another, without loads of extra's.

The OP needs to make certain that the new cylinder is suitable for gravity primaries, other than that it's a simple job.

The other thing you should do is check his Public liability insurance is up to date.

wen i did my energy eff i was told at the bare min ya have to fit a tap stat

as far as im concerened we give customers the low down on what is needed to bring a system up to part L standards.we give a written estimate of what the extra cost is gonna be .end of the day its up to the customer.you cant force them to pay for extra work when the system has worked perfectly well for previous years.what next, its illegal to fix a back boiler cos it aint efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back